Boomer alert: Grandia HD collection launches on PS/Xbox March 26th

Dodger

It’s about time, it only took five years. I never understood why this only came out for Switch especially considering that the first Grandia was on PS1. I gave up hope of this coming to PS4 so I recently bought the PS1 version of Grandia from the PS Store for $10 which I’m not happy about now, but I’m glad that I’ll finally be able to get this for PS4 because I’ve been wanting it ever since it originally came out back in 2019.

To make it clear to others checking out this thread, this is the already released Grandia HD collection that you can find on PC/Steam from 2019, it's just now they are finally porting it to PS/Xbox. This is the definitive release of Grandia I (combining the best parts of both the Saturn and PS1 versions) and Grandia II (based on the original and best Dreamcast version, not the PS2 or PC ports). It's a shame Grandia III and Grandia Xtreme never got remasters to be added to this collection, at least those got international releases originally so it wouldn't be too hard. Luckily, there's always emulation with mods.

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

This is the definitive release of Grandia I (combining the best parts of both the Saturn and PS1 versions) and Grandia II (based on the original and best Dreamcast version, not the PS2 or PC ports).

Are there any differences between the Saturn and PS1 versions of Grandia? I’m glad that this collection has the Dreamcast version of Grandia II, because I heard that the PS2 version was rough.

29 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's a shame Grandia III and Grandia Xtreme never got remasters to be added to this collection, at least those got international releases originally so it wouldn't be too hard.

This collection should have included Grandia III as well because it seems incomplete without it. While I didn’t like it quite as much as the first two games, I still liked it enough to want to play it again.

• Halal 1

I was confused at first, since I've had this on Switch for years...I misunderstood when I saw the announcement. I had thought this might have been a new release with more games from the series. But it's just the Switch/PC game now on Playstation. Oh well. 

This is still good news, since this may give more people the opportunity to play/collect these games that maybe haven't already picked it up/downloaded it. 

11 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

Are there any differences between the Saturn and PS1 versions of Grandia?

Yeah, but AFAIK, it's nothing too major. The game runs and (allegedly) looks better on Saturn, but that's about it. I don't think there is more content in the game, like the differences between the PSOne and Saturn versions of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

13 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

Are there any differences between the Saturn and PS1 versions of Grandia?

Here's a quick breakdown here:

FORUMS.INSERTCREDIT.COM

The insert credit forums are a place to talk about video games for anyone who has thought, "but really, who will care about this specific thing I like?"

But basically the Saturn version had a better framerate and better graphics/resolution, though the PS1 version had some better aspects compared to the Saturn version as well. And yeah, the PS2 version of Grandia II was noticeably rougher than the Dreamcast version.