Apparently we have Dick Gephardt to thank for talking Manchin out of a No Labels run.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The most notable part of this story is that I've been informed that Dick Gephardt is still alive!

Reading some more, it looks as if he's spent the better part of nine months mounting an effort specifically to stop No Nabels. Additional info:

WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

The bipartisan effort is aimed at stopping a third-party effort that many Democrats fear would hurt Biden and help Trump.

The new group has already commissioned private polling showing that a generic “moderate, independent third-party candidate” would pull more votes away from President Biden than former president Donald Trump in a hypothetical three-way race, all but assuring the Republican wins back the White House.

“No Labels equals Trump,” said Greg Schneiders, a former aide to President Jimmy Carter whose firm Prime Group has conducted the polling for the Gephardt group. “It is going to affect the race and it is going to affect it negatively for Biden, and it is probably going to elect Donald Trump.”

Stuart Stevens, a Republican consultant who has worked for the presidential campaigns of Bob Dole, George W. Bush and Mitt Romney, has also joined the effort, along with former senator Doug Jones (D-Ala.). A person familiar with the plans said the nascent effort is working to sign up more political leaders, will disclose their donors and plans to formally release their polling, which includes samples in seven swing states.

Dick Gephardt, LOL. Here's a fun fact, my mom worked for him for him during multiple election campaigns. I was even in a few of his commercials as a kid / teen. I don’t want to give away too many details, but I grew up balls deep in Missouri politics. I always thought he looked like a freaky fake Ken doll. Like he was an android being driven around by a team of tiny aliens.

I honestly thought he was dead. 

• Shocked 3
  • Hype 1

4 minutes ago, ort said:

Dick Gephardt, LOL. Here's a fun fact, my mom worked for him for him during multiple election campaigns. I was even in a few of his commercials as a kid / teen. I don’t want to give away too many details, but I grew up balls deep in Missouri politics. I always thought he looked like a freaky fake Ken doll. Like he was an android being driven around by a team of tiny aliens.

I honestly thought he was dead. 

Please release the footage of you in commercials. 🙏 

• True 1

I looked for it and could not find it... I think I was only in one for him... I can't recall. Probably in 1992, looking at his wiki page and remembering that I was in high school. I was in several others of various candidates when I was a kid. I think most of the extras in the ads back then were just friends and family. My mom worked on a bunch of campaigns in the 80s and 90s, but Gephardt was one of her main gigs she would go back to over and over.

• Halal 1