Mr. and Mrs. Smith (Donald Glover and Maya Erskine) now on Amazon

The 8 episode season dropped last weekend. I just finished, and I highly recommend it! Glover and Erskine have great chemistry, and the season takes its time exploring the weird dynamics of the setup. Plus a lot of fun guest stars.

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I adore Glover (Community is in my all time top 20) but don't remotely love this premise, will I be OK?! 

You do get a lot of high quality Donald Glover content (my guy looks incredible in a turtleneck), but the show is the premise, if that makes sense. If you really don’t like the basic idea of a spy team going around on missions while dealing with a real-ish marriage, then you probably won’t have a great time. 

5 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think the Doug Liman/Angelina Jolie/Brad Pitt movie is actually a lot of fun, but I saw they changed the premise here some. Is it still good compared to that? Did you like the movie?

I haven’t seen that movie in a long time, but I remember thinking it was fun. They change so much here I don’t know if it even makes sense to compare the two. This is probably a simpler starting point for a show - The Americans is one of my favorites and has a similar idea at its core (except of course we start with them like 15 years into their cover marriage). 

• Halal 2

21 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I haven’t seen that movie in a long time, but I remember thinking it was fun. They change so much here I don’t know if it even makes sense to compare the two. This is probably a simpler starting point for a show - The Americans is one of my favorites and has a similar idea at its core (except of course we start with them like 15 years into their cover marriage). 

Now that you've seen the show you should go back and rewatch the movie! Either way I'll definitely keep this on my radar.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

can't believing they're ruining an american classic with WOKE

And they’ll GO BROKE

(Seriously though, half of the episodes I watched had no ads at all, and the others only a 15 second spot before the episode started.)

I burned through the series and found a lot to like about it. It's far from perfect, but they do enough with the premise that it feels well used. Both Glover and Erskine are good in their roles as the consistently character focused nature of the show gives them plenty of time to shine. It hovers around a very John Wick 1 level of world building which is good without going overboard. I didn't find the action to be terribly impressive, but it was never sloppy.

The ending does well to close out the series while leaving the door open for more.

Spoiler

I was surprised by the end that Paul Dano didn't have more to do. When they introduced him as the neighbor he was a very effective red herring. Whenever they'd mention him I kept expecting his character to have a bigger role.