Portal: Revolution - an 8 hours-long mod for Portal 2 featuring 40 new test chambers set between the first and second games

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

The Portal Mod you've been waiting for. Delve into a new story with original characters, spanning over 8 hours of gameplay and featuring over 40 new challenging test chambers which make use of new mechanics.

Remember when Valve made an ingenious pair of puzzle games about portals and then failed to count to three? Nothing new there, but it's a shame Portal remains one of Valve's forgotten children while the company aims to keep exploring Half-Life. These days, the hallowed halls of Aperture Labs only make an appearance when Valve needs a quick and quirky tutorial for its latest VR hardware or PC handheld. But the Portal community never stopped testing. They've been at it for years uploading new test chambers, original stories, and entire fan campaigns to the Steam Workshop.

This weekend, a big one dropped.

It's called Portal: Revolution. It's a completely original seven-hour campaign with new characters, mechanics, and a story that takes place between Portals 1 and 2. It's a huge mod—so big that developer Second Face Software published it with its own standalone Steam page and thumbs up from Valve. Revolution was built on Strata Source, a "community-made branch of Source engine" officially licensed from Valve. Revolution is still very much Portal 2, you even need to own it first, but Second Face says the upgraded engine means it can do things that "would be impossible in Portal 2." I've put almost two hours in so far, and I'm starting to see what they mean. Revolution isn't just "more Portal."

• Hype 2

A couple more extensive Portal mods:

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Portal Reloaded is a free, community made modification for Portal 2. The mod builds on the concepts of the main game by allowing you to place a third portal, which enables traveling between two different timelines. Thinking in four dimensions is vital to solving 25 brand new mind-bending puzzles.

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Portal Stories: Mel is a community made, free modification for Portal 2 based in the Portal universe. It tells the story of Mel, who meets a new personality core and faces an undiscovered threat to the Aperture facility.

You know what? I've avoided these because I feel like fan projects often don't reach the heights of professional made stuff (how could they?) but I've been wanting some more Portal for a while. I'll give it a shot.

52 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

You know what? I've avoided these because I feel like fan projects often don't reach the heights of professional made stuff (how could they?) but I've been wanting some more Portal for a while. I'll give it a shot.

HUGE HUGE PORTAL FAN HERE!

Favorite puzzles games easily in my top ten, along with The Witness and Braid. Both games are fantastic and can run on anything nearly. I will be giving these a try for sure. Probably see if they can run on the ALLY first if not i'll download them on my PC!

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Wasn't the first portal game just made by the same people who did Narbacular Drop? If anything the original game which you consider "professional made" was basically made as a fan project

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Wasn't the first portal game just made by the same people who did Narbacular Drop? If anything the original game which you consider "professional made" was basically made as a fan project

If it was the same people, why would you call that a fan project? Were they fans of themselves? 

6 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

considering the first portal was practically a fan mod project and by all accounts never had more than 10 people working on the game, even after Valve officially adopting it, I don’t see another fan project couldn’t equal or better it. I’d imagine the biggest thing we’d be missing are famous and likely expensive voice talents, if there’s more casts of characters. 

6 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Reloaded was good and Mel feels like an official entry with quality voice acting.