Patrick Stewart might return to Star Trek again

COMICBOOK.COM

Patrick Stewart teases the return of Picard in a new Star Trek movie.

While speaking with Josh Horowitz for Happy Say Confused, Stewart revealed he's supposed to be getting a new Star Trek script. 

"After we finished recording our seven seasons of Next Generation, we made four movies, one after the other. Star Trek movies of varying qualities, the best one being the one directed by Jonathan Frakes [Star Trek: First Contact], who was one of the people who had the most influence on me, on the show, because of his experience and his understanding of the complexities and how bringing different qualities on to the stage floor was very, very important. Diversity, you know, and change," Stewart explained. 

"So it's an ongoing procedure for me, and I heard only last night about a script that is being written but written specifically with the actor Patrick to play in it and I've been told to expect to receive it within a week or so, and I'm so excited because it sounds like the kind of project where the experimentation that I want to do will be essential for this kind of material," he added. 

In an interview with Wired last year, Stewart spoke about his new memoir, Making It So, and the actor revealed he wanted to make one more Star Trek movie. 

"Well, it would be: Let's explore further the inside of this man's head," Stewart said. "His fears, his anger, his frustration, his questioning all of those things. There is a moment, I'm not quite sure where it comes in the series … Well, there are two moments. One is when Picard doesn't know what to do. He's stumped. And we never saw that in The Next Generation. There is also a moment when he is truly fearful. And those two pointers alone, I think, make him an interesting study for one more movie."

I would love another Next Generation movie, especially if they could bring the cast together again.

• Hype 1

11 hours ago, SoberChef said:

To Gavin's point, S3 of Picard was one of the most emotional seasons of television I ever watched, so here's hoping such quality continues.

I was overwhelmed and cried at one point... media almost never does that to me.

• Hugs 2

I hope it’s not another TNG movie. I mean how many times are we gonna get a curtain call for this crew? lol

Id be ok if he was involved in a larger Star Trek movie not about him or the rest of the TNG cast. Not unlike Kirk and the rest of Those Old Scientists in ST Generations. 

8 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

I want a DS9 movie!

I think even Avery Brooks would come back if someone would actually ask him to, and nobody has because he got hit with shitty racist ostracism "why should we work with this black guy with strong opinions about how his character should be portrayed?"

A Maquis storyline would be an easy way to bring TNG/DS9/VOY together. Make it about some Maquis who are still out there and who never reintegrated into Federation society after the Dominion War ended.

4 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

down side the actors that play Odo and Nog are no longer with us. I wish we got a DS9 movie in the early to mid 2000s. 

It does suck, but I'd still love to see more DS9

11 hours ago, Jason said:

I think even Avery Brooks would come back if someone would actually ask him to, and nobody has because he got hit with shitty racist ostracism "why should we work with this black guy with strong opinions about how his character should be portrayed?"

maybe I was never paying attention but I don't recall any issues with how he played the character. The issues centered around race were always quite powerful. Though I will say his character's open hostility over racial matters always seemed a bit odd given the time period and the other series tended to have made it seem as if race issues (at least in terms amongst humans) were resolved. Of course like I said, those episodes that touched on the racial issues tended to be some of the best ones. It also helped that unlike the other series DS9 had the what I considered to best overarching storyline.

SCREENRANT.COM

DS9 has waited over 20 years for a movie.

A series of factors, such as DS9 overall not being as popular or strong in the ratings as TNG was on syndication, and the downturn of the TNG movies' box office and reception following Star Trek: Insurrection and Star Trek: Nemesis scrapped any potential plans there might have been for a DS9 movie. 

However, the landscape for Star Trek is very different in 2023, and the advent of Star Trek movies made for Paramount+ offers new hope for a Deep Space Nine reunion film in lieu of a continuation series like Star Trek: Picard was for TNG. Sadly, not everyone can return for a DS9 movie if it happens as Rene Auberjonois, who played Odo, and Aron Eisenberg, who played Nog, passed away. It's also a difficult prospect to imagine a DS9 movie without Captain Sisko, but Avery Brooks' interest in returning to Star Trek is questionable. Yet there is bona fide interest in seeing Star Trek: Deep Space Nine's sprawling and beloved cast reunite after over two decades, and Cirroc Lofton and his fellow cast members are open to the idea. A Paramount+ movie would be a great way to make a return visit to Star Trek's most legendary space station.

It would be nice to get a DS9 movie on Paramount+.