What would you do if this happened at a restaurant?

We were trying a new restaurant, and I noticed that the hostess was coughing when we came in. The waitress started coughing when we ordered drinks, too. Neither was covering their mouths while coughing, and my mom said we're not staying because of that. I told the hostess we had an emergency come up and had to leave, unfortunately. Would you leave if that happened?

I wouldn't personally leave but I could see why your mom left. It’s pretty gross but it wouldn't be enough for me to leave. 

Also, your mom should have said something to a manager. Could have probably gotten something out of it. 

• True 1

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

I told the hostess we had an emergency come up and had to leave, unfortunately. Would you leave if that happened?

I would've left, but I wouldn't have made up the excuse.  I would've told them why I was leaving.

• True 2
  • Halal 1

I would definitely leave. If i am at a place where people are clearly sick but are stuck working, I don’t blame them, but I’m out. I don’t need that shit.  Almost every time I get a cold it turns into a month long ordeal.  A week of sneezing/runny nose. Then the sore throat for a day or two. Then it goes right to my chest and for the next two weeks I’m coughing. No thanks.

• Like 1
  • True 1

15 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Yeah I think I would have left also but actually told the manager why. IMO it needs to become culturally completely unacceptable to go to work when you're sick.

The reality is there isn't enough sick leave given to employees so they HAVE to show up. 

15 minutes ago, best3444 said:

The reality is there isn't enough sick leave given to employees so they HAVE to show up. 

Yes that is unfortunately the current reality, so my hope in telling the manager would be to let them see that they're losing business by not providing adequate sick leave for their employees. 

To be clear, I fully expect them to not give a shit about one customer doing so, but hopefully in the aggregate... 

• True 1

27 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

I agree, I should have said something earlier, but I didn't want to make a scene. I would have had to say something kind of loud for my mom to hear clearly.

You are acting as if you did something wrong. They are the business. You are the customer. A grown adult should know to cover his or her mouth especially when working around food and people. I would have left and not even explained why. 

• True 1

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

I wouldn't personally leave but I could see why your mom left. It’s pretty gross but it wouldn't be enough for me to leave. 

Also, your mom should have said something to a manager. Could have probably gotten something out of it. 

Adults hacking and not covering their mouths around customers or food doesn’t bother or concern you? 

11 hours ago, Biggie said:

Adults hacking and not covering their mouths around customers or food doesn’t bother or concern you? 

Who said anything about hacking? 

14 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I probably wouldn’t have noticed. 

This. It's not a big deal.