I'm so confused right now about GTA V

Remarkableriots

I wanted to get GTA V for PS5 because I gave my PS4 physical copy away to a friend from my previous job. (Along with my PS4, because he couldn't afford a game system along with a stack of games.)

The part I'm confused about is that on PSN, it's listed on sale for $19.99 finally, but it also lists GTA V Online for $19.99 separately along with GTA V (PS4 and 5) for $59.99.

It looks like they split the single player and online into two separate games for PS5. It’s confusing because the full game with both parts is currently on sale but the GTA Online only version is not, so they’re weirdly the same price. You don’t need to worry about the $60 version unless you might want to download the PS4 version for some reason down the line. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

I bought it when it was on sale, and when I was looking at the version downloaded, it said PS4 version. So I thought maybe it gave me both versions? Nope, it says I have to buy the PS5 version, so I did mess up! :doh:

Good job

George Costanza Good Job GIF

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

It's confusing when the entire page is about the PS5 version, except for one line that is easily missed that mentions the PS4 version. You have to select that change it to PS5 version out of multiple selections.

Sony’s store front sucks and is really bad at being transparent about what you’re buying. It has gotten better but it’s still bad. It used to be even worse about telling you what you’re actually buying or what version you’re playing. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Sony’s store front sucks and is really bad at being transparent about what you’re buying. It has gotten better but it’s still bad. It used to be even worse about telling you what you’re actually buying or what version you’re playing. 

Yeah this was actually a problem at launch they sort of made better with like he said there's a small tab to switch the version but if it's that hard to notice then your store dun fucked up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

I've never purchased the wrong item ever and I am not the sharpest crayon in the carton. 

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

Not impossible. In fact it was quite easy as long as you could read and understand English. 

Early in the console’s life you would DL a game and it did not surface what version you were downloading, it required extra digging to figure it out and cross gen games defaulted to the PS4 version even if the game was purchased on a PS5. 

It’s better now, but it was shit, regardless of your personal experience and the PSN store is still overall a poorly organized storefront in my opinion. 

17 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Early in the console’s life you would DL a game and it did not surface what version you were downloading, it required extra digging to figure it out and cross gen games defaulted to the PS4 version even if the game was purchased on a PS5. 

It’s better now, but it was shit, regardless of your personal experience and the PSN store is still overall a poorly organized storefront in my opinion. 

You would think a renown doctor such as yourself could figure out how to read and purchase the correct game off a console store front. 

Did you buy it on your PS5 or through the web store? Games look pretty clearly labeled PS5 and/or PS4 on both to me. Although the store is definitely shitty in other ways. Searching “Grand Theft Auto V” on the PS5 only gives me two options: GTA 5 Online (PS5) for $20 or GTA 5 (PS4 & PS5) for $60. The store in my browser also shows GTA 5 Online + Story Mode (PS5) for $40, which was on sale when this thread was made and what I thought I was pointing you towards. 

18 minutes ago, Biggie said:

You would think a renown doctor such as yourself could figure out how to read and purchase the correct game off a console store front. 

That’s the thing you weren’t purchasing the wrong version you got both and it would default to the PS4 version. There was no reason to assume it was installing the PS4 version. 

8 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Did you buy it on your PS5 or through the web store? Games look pretty clearly labeled PS5 and/or PS4 on both to me. Although the store is definitely shitty in other ways. Searching “Grand Theft Auto V” on the PS5 only gives me two options: GTA 5 Online (PS5) for $20 or GTA 5 (PS4 & PS5) for $60. The store in my browser also shows GTA 5 Online + Story Mode (PS5) for $40, which was on sale when this thread was made and what I thought I was pointing you towards. 

I definitely bought the wrong one because the one I bought was $20.

6 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

I definitely bought the wrong one because the one I bought was $20.

The right one (GTA5 Online + GTA V Story Mode for PS5) was $20 when you made this thread, I remember that. Maybe there was a PS4 only version that was also $20 at that time and that’s how you got confused, I don’t know. 

• Like 1