The Beekeeper (Jason Statham) - January 12th, 2024

This movie is written by Kurt Wimmer and directed by David Ayer? This movie could either be really awesome or really, really bad. Let's break it down: 

Good David Ayer: Training Day (only wrote, didn't direct), Harsh Times, Street Kings, End of Watch, Fury

Bad David Ayer: Sabotage (studio meddling), Suicide Squad (studio meddling), Bright, The Tax Collector

Good Kurt Wimmer: The Thomas Crown Affair (Pierce Brosnan version), Equilibrium (also directed), Street Kings, Law Abiding Citizen, Salt

Bad Kurt Wimmer: Ultraviolet (also directed - studio meddling), Point Break (remake), Children of the Corn (also directed - remake), Spell

Which Wimmer/Ayer combination will we get? The only other time these two worked together we got Street Kings starring Keanu Reeves from 2008 which is actually pretty good! So there's hope, but lately both of these guys have not been on point, it's their earlier work which was great, so not a great sign. I hope this turns out well, for both of these guys' careers. Based on their resumes, you can probably guess how you'll feel about this movie most likely.

3 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

The Thomas Crown Affair is so underrated

I agree, it is underrated, people are down on it because people like the original 1968 film directed by Norman Jewison starring Steve McQueen which is better than the Brosnan version but the Brosnan version is quite good! Because of peoples' bias towards the original, the remake from 1998 is indeed underrated.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

I agree, it is underrated, people are down on it because people like the original 1968 film directed by Norman Jewison starring Steve McQueen which is better than the Brosnan version but the Brosnan version is quite good! Because of peoples' bias towards the original, the remake from 1998 is indeed underrated.

Brosnan is just perfect for that part. I can't imagine anyone else playing it as well as him.

• Hype 1

4 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

Brosnan is just perfect for that part. I can't imagine anyone else playing it as well as him.

He is a perfect fit for the role, but he is competing against Steve McQueen so it was always an uphill battle, and I'm a big Brosnan fan. I like that both exist, like The Wages of Fear and Sorcerer. 

46 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

He is a perfect fit for the role, but he is competing against Steve McQueen so it was always an uphill battle, and I'm a big Brosnan fan. I like that both exist, like The Wages of Fear and Sorcerer. 

I've never seen the original but from the clips and what I read it seems like they are pretty different movies. With the original being more of a thriller.

• True 1

1 minute ago, Air_Delivery said:

I've never seen the original but from the clips and what I read it seems like they are pretty different movies. With the original being more of a thriller.

That's accurate - they have similarities but they aren't really the same movie, the original is more of a thriller. I do recommend the original so you can compare.

• Like 1