So I'm having trouble with my new build

Air_Delivery

Turn on PC everything lights up and fans turn but no video. Checked the motherboard LEDs and the RAM error LED is lit up. Made sure RAM is in the correct spot (in A1-B1 slots) installed each stick individually in the A1 and still nothing. Blown out the slots with canned air and made sure there was no contamination in the slots and pins. The RGB LEDs on top of the RAM light up for what its worth.

Is there some kind of compatibility issue with the motherboard because as of now I'm at a complete loss.

The Motherboard is an ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-F Gaming and RAM is a Corsair Vengeance RGB DD5 C30

2 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

Turn on PC everything lights up and fans turn but no video. Checked the motherboard LEDs and the RAM error LED is lit up. Made sure RAM is in the correct spot (in A1-B1 slots) installed each stick individually in the A1 and still nothing. Blown out the slots with canned air and made sure there was no contamination in the slots and pins. The RGB LEDs on top of the RAM light up for what its worth.

Is there some kind of compatibility issue with the motherboard because as of now I'm at a complete loss.

The Motherboard is an ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-F Gaming and RAM is a Corsair Vengeance RGB DD5 C30

Your MB doesn't have Q-Code, which would make it easy to troubleshoot.

However, it should beep a pattern to tell you why it didn't post (page 2-24 of your manual to decode).  What did it do?

I sorta got it to work from a post on Reddit.

"Turn off, unplug, clear CMOS, and put one stick in B2. Post successful. For message "new cpu installed ftpm nv corrupted..." PRESS Y. Turn off pc, unplug, but don't clear CMOS (obviously) just put the other stick in A2"

Still doesn't work on A1-B1 like its supposed to but I'm gonna try to update my BIOS today and see if that does anything. If not I'm just gonna return the motherboard.

34 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

So my 7800x3d seems to be running hot. 48C-50C idles with spikes into the 70s. I tried resetting the cooler and the thermal compound spread at least looks ok from an eyeball test.

I have a new CPU cooler coming and planning on returning this cheapy one I bought but like that is too hot right?

@Spork3245

@cusideabelincoln

What cooler do you have on it? 45ish is pretty normal iirc, but load temps are more important than idle temps.

5 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Thermaltake 95W Gravity A2 CPU Cooler

That’s a 95w TDP cooler and AMD recommends 120w or better. You definitely need a real cooler and not a budget tower-style one for a high end CPU :p 

I would not suggest putting the CPU under any real load until you get your new cooler

• Thanks 1

If you're saying it spikes into the 70s while mostly idling or light use, then yes that is a problem. 

If it's going into the 70s while gaming or under full load, that is totally normal for a 7800x3D.

But judging from the looks of that cooler, it's definitely not suitable for long term high CPU loads. There's just not enough thermal mass and dissipation for a high end 8 core CPU.

Might want to also try resetting the CPU into the socket. If the CPU isn't making good contact with the motherboard, that can also cause RAM related issues. Check for bent pins or debris.

And definitely, definitely update the BIOS if you haven't yet. There's a button by the USB ports on the back to do it, and you don't even need a CPU installed.  Not only is there better RAM support, but some early BIOS on some motherboards were causing 7800X3Ds to blow up because they were sending too high of a voltage to it.

Yeah ill be updating my BIOS promptly. I put off putting together my new setup for a few days and just got it together today so I'm still fuckin with things.

It actually isn't as bad as I thought. Its running about 65C when running Baldurs Gate 3 so at least thats tolerable until my new cooler comes tomorrow. On the plus side BG3 is running butter smooth.

47 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Yeah ill be updating my BIOS promptly. I put off putting together my new setup for a few days and just got it together today so I'm still fuckin with things.

It actually isn't as bad as I thought. Its running about 65C when running Baldurs Gate 3 so at least thats tolerable until my new cooler comes tomorrow. On the plus side BG3 is running butter smooth.

If you’re past Act 1 (especially if you’re on Act 3) that’s impressive and that cooler is almost certainly over performing 

Had to return my first Deepcool cause one of the nuts wouldn't screw into the bottom screw but today I finally got it installed. Temps during Baldurs Gate have gone down about 10C from 68-70C to 58-60C.

Did a pi benchmark (y-cruncher) and was steady at 70C for most of the test with a spike of 82C at the very end. Not sure why that was as it showed the CPU at around 100% for the full test.

I think for the most part its working inline with other good coolers on this CPU.

@Spork3245
@cusideabelincoln

Edit: Made a bit of a noob mistake and accidentally had the CPU airflow opposed to my case fan flow. Since my case blows bottom to top I just put on the fans the way they naturally went. So I had to reverse the brackets so the CPU fan wires didn't have to go across the heat sink.

Anyway its already making a difference and Pi was around 65C for most of the test with a spike of 79C at the end. It also stopped the weird idle temp fluctuations that were happening. 

4 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

Had to return my first Deepcool cause one of the nuts wouldn't screw into the bottom screw but today I finally got it installed. Temps during Baldurs Gate have gone down about 10C from 68-70C to 58-60C.

Did a pi benchmark (y-cruncher) and was steady at 70C for most of the test with a spike of 82C at the very end. Not sure why that was as it showed the CPU at around 100% for the full test.

I think for the most part its working inline with other good coolers on this CPU.

@Spork3245
@cusideabelincoln

Edit: Made a bit of a noob mistake and accidentally had the CPU airflow opposed to my case fan flow. Since my case blows bottom to top I just put on the fans the way they naturally went. So I had to reverse the brackets so the CPU fan wires didn't have to go across the heat sink.

Anyway its already making a difference and Pi was around 65C for most of the test with a spike of 79C at the end. It also stopped the weird idle temp fluctuations that were happening. 

I don’t believe that the 7800x3D throttles until 90c so spikes to high 70s and low 80s is totally fine.

• Thanks 1