Florida schools got hundreds of book complaints — mostly from 2 people

6NEQUAWBMJDKNED2BO2M3MRRGE.jpg
WWW.TAMPABAY.COM

A year’s worth of records suggests the state’s book banning movement is narrow in scope.

But while their movement has grabbed headlines, it may not be widespread. Most of Florida’s 67 school districts didn’t log a single formal complaint about a book. That’s based on a Tampa Bay Times analysis, the most comprehensive review of book complaints across the state.

Of the roughly 1,100 complaints recorded in Florida since July 2022, more than 700 came from two counties — Escambia in the western Panhandle and Clay near Jacksonville. Together the two districts make up less than 3% of the state’s total public school enrollment.

About 600 of the complaints came from two people — a Clay County dad and an Escambia County high school teacher.

The data illustrates how a tiny minority of activists across the state can overwhelm school districts while shaping the national conversation over what books belong on school library shelves.

• Guillotine 1

6 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I wouldn't say there's anything encouraging about it. Two people can cause this much disruption, and the hurdle to get a book banned is so ridiculously low that some real damage has and will continue to be done.

This is what I was thinking, that the law allows for two people to gum up the works this way seems quite problematic and probably intentional on the part of the lawmakers.

I mean districts were already preemptively pulling books that could be complained about so as far as I know these complaints were either during or after the fact.

My district banned 176 books last year, most of them featuring black and LGBT themes. When I taught middle school English I had to remove my entire classroom library to have each book evaluated.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...