Why are websites not just on dark mode by default anymore?

Fizzzzle

A while back I finally found a web extension that can actually turn almost every website to dark mode (Wikipedia and YouTube already have dark modes) and holy shit are my eyes thanking me every day. I used to have bags under my eyes constantly, they've gone away for the most part. Nothing has changed except for the bright ass screen I used to look at all the time.

Bright white are the fucking worst and I'm sure they probably do cause cancer in some small way.

Like you have to be logged into Wikipedia and know where to look to turn it to dark mode. Why is it not just dark mode by default?

I don't like dark mode.

I want not-so-bright/grey mode.

If I have to pick between blackout and whiteout I'm picking whiteout, with the exception of visual media-based websites.

I hate white text on black backgrounds. Creates afterimages of the text.

6 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I don't like dark mode.

I want not-so-bright/grey mode.

If I have to pick between blackout and whiteout I'm picking whiteout, with the exception of visual media-based websites.

I hate white text on black backgrounds. Creates afterimages of the text.

You are conditioned by c1bc... What were the last 2 digits of ign? C1bc... I used to have that memorized.

9 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

You are conditioned by c1bc... What were the last 2 digits of ign? C1bc... I used to have that memorized.

lfNFlXL.png?2

UKlNsVK.png?2

Whatever the case, the after images won't just go away if I use dark mode. I used Dark Mode for years on a website where I read novels, and one day the website was fucked and only had the default theme, and my god was it far easier on my eyes.

Thankfully, they now have a grey mode. I'll sometimes use Firefoxes built-in reader view for other sites that only have a dark mode.

• Thanks 1