RFK Jr. Walks Back Saying He’d Sign a Federal Ban on Abortions After Three Months of Pregnancy

RFKJr-1.jpeg?w=1600&h=900&crop=1
WWW.ROLLINGSTONE.COM

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. said he'd sign a federal ban on abortions after three months of pregnancy, but then walked back that statement.

“I believe a decision to abort a child should be up to the women during the first three months of life,” Kennedy told NBC News in an interview at the Iowa State Fair. When he was asked if that meant signing a federal ban at 15 or 21 weeks, he said yes.

“Once a child is viable, outside the womb, I think then the state has an interest in protecting the child,” he said. He added: “I’m for medical freedom. Individuals are able to make their own choices.”

A statement from his campaign clarified his position on Sunday. “Today, Mr. Kennedy misunderstood a question posed to him by a NBC reporter in a crowded, noisy exhibit hall at the Iowa State Fair,” the statement read. “Mr. Kennedy’s position on abortion is that it is always the woman’s right to choose. He does not support legislation banning abortion.”

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So a child is viable outside the womb at three months?

Eh... It's a tricky subject, the probability for surviving goes up from 0% but it's not an instant 100% the child will live and/or not having major health issues. The current viability is at 23-24 weeks but again depending on state of health care where the mother is located they might not be able to save a baby under 30+ weeks.

One of the major organs that develops in that 21-24 week window is the baby's lungs. If they are not developed enough the baby isn't surviving.

Now here is the thing. Nobody is just willy nilly aborting a baby past 24 weeks unless there is a major medical reason for it. Hell most aren't in the 18-22 week window unless there is a medical reason (abnormality, down syndrome, etc). So it begs the question, why do we need a cap in the first place? Wild theories that someone could is not a good enough reason. :angry:

7 hours ago, chakoo said:

Eh... It's a tricky subject, the probability for surviving goes up from 0% but it's not an instant 100% the child will live and/or not having major health issues. The current viability is at 23-24 weeks but again depending on state of health care where the mother is located they might not be able to save a baby under 30+ weeks.

One of the major organs that develops in that 21-24 week window is the baby's lungs. If they are not developed enough the baby isn't surviving.

Now here is the thing. Nobody is just willy nilly aborting a baby past 24 weeks unless there is a major medical reason for it. Hell most aren't in the 18-22 week window unless there is a medical reason (abnormality, down syndrome, etc). So it begs the question, why do we need a cap in the first place? Wild theories that someone could is not a good enough reason. :angry:

Three months is about 12 weeks. That's a long ways off from being viable.

3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Three months is about 12 weeks. That's a long ways off from being viable.

I should have been more clear in my post. I was not trying to respond that 3 months is anywhere near viability. I took it as an opportunity to explain more on what viability actually is, which isn't just some clear cut X week and baby is GTG. So many people know so little about this subject until they get smacked upside the head about it, I sure didn't till me and the wife had to deal with it twice.

I feel the process for what actually goes on in pregnancy is not talked about enough in public which allows the anti abortion side to taint/pollute the discussion with BS (this board already dealt with such a BS topic not long ago). So I hope that clears up what I was trying to post about. :D

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1