2) The Last Kingdom

3) Fringe 

4) Band Of Brothers

5) Deadwood

Movies

1) the Lord of the Rings

2) Die Hard

3) Eternal Sunshine

Eh.... Movies are harder. You don't develop as much of a connection with them.

The reason Warrior is first is because it's one of the only shows where I watched the whole thing and then immediately watched it again. I loved it that much. I did the same thing with season 2 of The Witcher, but season 1 wasn't that great, so that's why it's not there.

Rome is another one. Season 1 of Rome is one of the best things I've ever seen, but season 2 is just... fine. Same with Alerted Carbon.

I think that's a problem with how TV shows are produced now. You film an entire season's worth of content, you don't renew anyone's contracts because you have no idea whether it's going to be a hit or a flop, then guess what, it's a hit but 75% of the people who worked on it have moved on to other things because they are people who need income.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

TV: The Wire, The Last Kingdom, Chernobyl, We Own this City

Movies: The Dark Knight, The Departed, V for Vendetta, Kingdom of Heaven(DC)

I plan on finally watching Band of Brothers soon. 

The Pacific is a much more brutal depiction of war (which I generall prefer) compared to Band of Brotheres, which is kind of romanticized. However, Band of Brothers is a much more cohesive narrative.

Speaking of war, there are 2 movies I think everyone should see, but I don't feel comfortable calling them "favorite."

1) Come and See

2) Schindler's List

Both of them are so brutal that I never want to see them again. They are burned into my brain and I'm not a masochist.

Come and See is a Soviet movie from the 80's, and if anything it ups the brutality of Schindler's List. Schindler's List mostly takes place during the "gas" beriod of the Holocaust. Come and See takes place during the "Holocaust by Bullets" period, and holy shitfuck is it brutal. It's shot like a horror movie, with lots of narrow, lingering close-ups, music that makes your skin crawl, and the fact that the main characters are children. Come and See is one of the only movies that I get emotional just thinking about. I never need to see it again. Ales Adamovich, the writer of the movie, actually lived through the Nazi occupation of Belarus. Don't watch the movie if you're with someone you're not comfortable crying around.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

The Pacific is a much more brutal depiction of war (which I generall prefer) compared to Band of Brotheres, which is kind of romanticized. However, Band of Brothers is a much more cohesive narrative.

Speaking of war, there are 2 movies I think everyone should see, but I don't feel comfortable calling them "favorite."

1) Come and See

2) Schindler's List

Both of them are so brutal that I never want to see them again. They are burned into my brain and I'm not a masochist.

Come and See is a Soviet movie from the 80's, and if anything it ups the brutality of Schindler's List. Schindler's List mostly takes place during the "gas" beriod of the Holocaust. Come and See takes place during the "Holocaust by Bullets" period, and holy shitfuck is it brutal. It's shot like a horror movie, with lots of narrow, lingering close-ups, music that makes your skin crawl, and the fact that the main characters are children. Come and See is one of the only movies that I get emotional just thinking about. I never need to see it again. Ales Adamovich, the writer of the movie, actually lived through the Nazi occupation of Belarus. Don't watch the movie if you're with someone you're not comfortable crying around.

I’ve actually seen Schindler’s List 3 times, but I agree. It’s hard to call it a favorite, that just feels wrong, but it’s an essential movie that everyone should see once in their life. It’s incredibly well done and one of the only films that I’ve ever cried at. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 2

5 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I’ve actually seen Schindler’s List 3 times, but I agree. It’s hard to call it a favorite, that just feels wrong, but it’s an essential movie that everyone should see once in their life. It’s incredibly well done and one of the only films that I’ve ever cried at. 

Well if you ever want a movie night where you're comfortable watching a movie that will fuck up your whole week, I recommend watching Come and See. I think it's available to rent on most streaming services these days. I'm not sure who gets the money for that considering it was funded by the Soviet government, but still. It's one of those "you have to see it" movies, in my opinion.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Fizzzzle said:

Well if you ever want a movie night where you're comfortable watching a movie that will fuck up your whole week, I recommend watching Come and See. I think it's available to rent on most streaming services these days. I'm not sure who gets the money for that considering it was funded by the Soviet government, but still. It's one of those "you have to see it" movies, in my opinion.

I’ll look into it. Right now I’m watching the latest Ken Burns docuseries on America and the Holocaust. Probably need something a bit lighter to follow up with. 

• Halal 1

Movies:

In Bruges

Auf Der Anderen Seite (The Edge Of Heaven)

Synecdoche, New York

Inside Llewyn Davis

Taxi Driver

Your Name

TV Shows:

Twin Peaks

Dark

The Sopranos

Girls

Succession (recency bias)

Most of these are pretty self-explanatory, but I'll provide a little clarity about the mostly unknown or controversial inclusions.

Auf Der Anderen Seite is a German-language movie primarily about Turkish immigrants. It's the most beautifully executed hyperlink movie I've ever seen. After I finished it the first time I finished it I stared at my reflection in the mirror for like ten minutes feeling chills run up and down my neck.

Synechdoche, New York. Charlie Kaufman's (writer of Eternal Sunshine, Being John Malkovich) first shot at directing. It's expansive and weird. All of Kaufman's movies are kind of about everything, but this one is the most about everything of all of his movies. Philip Seymore Hoffman is great in it too.

Your Name. Made me cry a lot.

Girls. A completely misunderstood masterpiece. I don't understand how people don't understand that this is a satire. It gave us Adam Driver, and if you hate Lena Dunham just know that this show hates her more.

I think of out-and-out comedies as being incomparable from dramas so basically exclude them from my lists because they generally don't make me feel as strongly, even though I probably consume more comedy than anything.

• Like 1

TV

1) Supernatural

2) Star Trek: Deep space Nine 

3) Star Trek: The Next Generation

4) Farscape

5) Star Gate SG-1

6) Tales From the Crypt

7) Twilight Zone

8) Lost In Space (1965)

9) Highlander: The Series

10) DuckTales

Movies

1) The MCU

3) Batman (1989)

3) Superman: The Movie

4) Terminator

5) Hellraiser

6) Robocop (1987)

7) Ghostbusters

8) Beetlejuice

9) Gremlins

10) Killer Klowns from Outer Space

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

TV

1) Supernatural

2) Star Trek: Deep space Nine 

3) Star Trek: The Next Generation

4) Farscape

5) Star Gate SG-1

6) Tales From the Crypt

7) Twilight Zone

8) Lost In Space (1965)

9) Highlander: The Series

10) DuckTales

Movies

1) The MCU

3) Batman (1989)

3) Superman: The Movie

4) Terminator

5) Hellraiser

6) Robocop (1987)

7) Ghostbusters

8) Beetlejuice

9) Gremlins

10) Killer Klowns from Outer Space

The first 3-4 seasons of Supernatural? Golden monster-of-the-week TV. The next like... 5 seasons? Can't do it. Apparently it gets really good again at some point, but I can't get there.

TV series: Sherlock, This is England, Game of Thrones, Peep Show, Supernatural, Band of Brothers,  and then the more common place things like South Park and The Simpsons.

Movies: Fight Club, The Big Short, Spotlight, Gladiator, Shaun of the Dead, Goodfellas, LotR, and let’s add The Green Mile as well for good measure. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Watching some YT tonight and derp, how’d I forget to mention Titanic? That one is likely my favorite movie of all time. Don’t care if I get made fun of for it. I love damn near everything about it. The cinematography, the casting, the acting, the music, costumes, all of it. As a kid who was obsessed with all things Titanic before this released, it was like the biggest movie in the world for me. 

Now I wanna do a rewatch. 

• Hype 1