Matt Mercer/Critical Role announce the 825th and 826th alternative TTRPG systems to D&D since the OGL fiasco

Commissar SFLUFAN

I've completely lost track of the sheer number of alternative TTRPG systems announced in the last few months following the D&D OGL debacle.  As expected, Matt Mercer/Critical Role just announced a few days ago that their Darrington Press publishing arm will be releasing not one, but two new systems:  Illuminated Worlds and Daggerheart.

Illuminated Worlds
Created by Stras Ascimovic and Layla Alderman, the Illuminated Worlds System is a d6 dice pool and is designed for much shorter, arc-driven campaigns and flexible enough to be used with any type of setting. 

Daggerheart
A fun and fresh update to the fantasy genre of RPGs, Daggerheart has been designed for long-term campaign play and character progression.

Both of these new systems will debut at this year's Gen Con (along with a few dozen of the other new systems, I'm sure).

The fact of the matter is that I'm pretty much convinced that the vast majority -- if not, all -- of these recently-announced systems will in reality be variations on the standard D&D structure/mechanics to either a greater or lesser extent. 

Which then begs the question:  if that turns out to be the case (which it undoubtedly will!), wouldn't it just be easier to play D&D anyway?  I bet that's exactly what what WotC and its Pinkerton henchmen are counting on!

I've still not played PnP D&D ever, but I think its ruleset occupies a nice spot between the "looser" systems (Powered by the Apocalypse, Blades in the Dark), and something with a ton of crunch like Burning Wheel or Pathfinder. And the large player base makes it a little more easy to find support compared to systems of somewhat similar complexity like FFG's / Edge's narrative system.

Ultimately I think what makes stuff like D20 and Critical Role popular is the talent way way way way less so than the system. D&D is really the only RPG system that's got any kind of brand recognition outside of the community of players. I dunno if channels like that have outgrown the need to have that used as a funnel? I imagine that even if it's not a necessity at this point for them, it's still useful.

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

Ultimately I think what makes stuff like D20 and Critical Role popular is the talent way way way way less so than the system. D&D is really the only RPG system that's got any kind of brand recognition outside of the community of players. I dunno if channels like that have outgrown the need to have that used as a funnel? I imagine that even if it's not a necessity at this point for them, it's still useful.

D20 and CR have definitely outgrown any need to not use whatever system they want without fear of alienating fans. Look at this cast. They can do anything they want and everyone will be entertained.

Just now, Ghost_MH said:

D20 and CR have definitely outgrown any need to not use whatever system they want without fear of alienating fans. Look at this cast. They can do anything they want and everyone will be entertained.

Oh yeah, I think existing fans don't particular care about the system used on those channels. I have no idea whether or not them using D&D helps with discovery for new viewers but I also have no idea whether or not that's relevant in of itself.

I like Critical Role but between 5e, DCC, and Zweihander I have enough systems to cover the kinds of games I run.  However I have one friend in my gaming group who I know for sure is going to pick these up, so I'm looking forward to being a player in a game sometime between GenCon and PAXU.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I had zero interest in watching D&D anything until YouTube recommended me a video of Brennan on a different Dropout show, and I quickly fell down the D20 rabbit hole. I’ll watch anything he does, regardless of system. 

44 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I had zero interest in watching D&D anything until YouTube recommended me a video of Brennan on a different Dropout show, and I quickly fell down the D20 rabbit hole. I’ll watch anything he does, regardless of system. 

That's pretty much how I wound up subscribing to Dropout. Honestly, Dropout is the most fun I have with any of these subscription streaming sites. There's not a whole lot of content, but damn me if most of it isn't a ton of fun.

I think this is one of the few companies that can actually get eyes on their book. Possibly millions of them. I imagine whatever they release will be designed for more cinematic play. D&D/Pathfinder/etc have notoriously slow combat, which I think greatly hurts their show, stopping the progress dead for an hour or more sometimes. 

On 4/25/2023 at 10:21 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I've completely lost track of the sheer number of alternative TTRPG systems announced in the last few months following the D&D OGL debacle.  As expected, Matt Mercer/Critical Role just announced a few days ago that their Darrington Press publishing arm will be releasing not one, but two new systems:  Illuminated Worlds and Daggerheart.

Both of these new systems will debut at this year's Gen Con (along with a few dozen of the other new systems, I'm sure).

The fact of the matter is that I'm pretty much convinced that the vast majority -- if not, all -- of these recently-announced systems will in reality be variations on the standard D&D structure/mechanics to either a greater or lesser extent. 

Which then begs the question:  if that turns out to be the case (which it undoubtedly will!), wouldn't it just be easier to play D&D anyway?  I bet that's exactly what what WotC and its Pinkerton henchmen are counting on!

It depends. It says one is a D6 system, which sounds much closer to White Wolf with their D10 system (or WH D6, because I don't know if the modern Vampire The Masquerade still uses the D10 system). Perhaps they are going that way with the game. Hopefully they went in on a whole new non-d20 system though. 

If the D6 system is based on Warhammer/Vampire success/fail system, it could turn out to be an absolutely incredible game for getting people into the hobby.

I wish I had more time for roleplaying, we get together about one Saturday evening per month.  Warhammer is my main tabletop hobby, and it already takes up too much time.