John Carmack quits Meta

SuperSpreader

14 minutes ago, stepee said:

He’s joining your field now too!

That, unfortunately, I'm less enthusiastic about. Carmarck still has a pretty naïve view of AI, but that hasn't stopped him from making any number of bad AI takes. The kind you would expect of a college student who thinks they know what they're talking about because they're in a CS program. Positioning his company as an "AGI" company with goals to achieve "AGI" soon also really rubs me the wrong way and just further fuels the VC tech bro hype machine.

He's indisputably a great programmer, but has a strong tech bro side to him when it comes to AI. I'd be happier if he either focused on making more computationally efficient AI tech (which he'd be great at), or do a better job understanding the research field before acting like an authority on it with bad takes and misguided research directions.

3 minutes ago, legend said:

That, unfortunately, I'm less enthusiastic about. Carmarck still has a pretty naïve view of AI, but that hasn't stopped him from making any number of bad AI takes. The kind you would expect of a college student who thinks they know what they're talking about because they're in a CS program. Positioning his company as an "AGI" company with goals to achieve "AGI" soon also really rubs me the wrong way and just further fuels the VC tech bro hype machine.

He's indisputably a great programmer, but has a strong tech bro side to him when it comes to AI. I'd be happier if he either focused on making more computationally efficient AI tech (which he'd be great at), or do a better job understanding the research field before acting like an authority on it with bad takes and misguided research directions.

Maybe he will have time to soak it all in now that he quit!

It doesn’t excite me either (not for those reasons, as I’ve never heard his AI talks) but just because there aren’t many people his level in the gaming space and I’d rather he stay there either on engine development or building emerging tech like VR or if working on AI, as some kind of enemy/npc AI tech that can be incorporated to engines or smtn.

Just now, stepee said:

Maybe he will have time to soak it all in now that he quit!

It doesn’t excite me either (not for those reasons, as I’ve never heard his AI talks) but just because there aren’t many people his level in the gaming space and I’d rather he stay there either on engine development or building emerging tech like VR or if working on AI, as some kind of enemy/npc AI tech that can be incorporated to engines or smtn.

Yeah I have mixed feels about it. I won't begrudge anyone for deciding to change the direction of their career. If he wants to move into AI research that's fine. But I will begrudge him for doing it badly while acting like an authority :p 

I can tell you with certainty that integrating modern AI into game agent design will happen in the future whether he helps or not though! So there's that :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, legend said:

haha suckit

2 hours ago, legend said:

He's always seemed like the kind of guy to get into extremely technical and long discussions with folks on Twitter, you should voice this directly to him!

20 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

He's always seemed like the kind of guy to get into extremely technical and long discussions with folks on Twitter, you should voice this directly to him!

I’ve responded to his bad takes before, but he never responded. And visiting his reply threads is vomit inducing from all the Musk-like fanboys he has :p  (That part isn’t really his fault but annoying all the same!)

40 minutes ago, legend said:

I’ve responded to his bad takes before, but he never responded. And visiting his reply threads is vomit inducing from all the Musk-like fanboys he has :p  (That part isn’t really his fault but annoying all the same!)

Maybe you ai dorks can learn a thing or two from ol'Johnny C-balls. 

• Haha 1