The Water Wars Official Thread πŸ’§πŸ”ͺ

11 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Β 

Homes in the desert (at least in Las Vegas) recycle all of the water that is used indoors.Β  But...Anything used outdoors such as in pools or for landscaping/lawns is lost to evaporation.Β  The homes aren't the problem - it's the stuff outside the homes that account for the loss of water.

Β 

Do HOAs out there mandate the green lawns like they do everywhere else?Β  Because that would probably be a huge source of water use.

1 hour ago, finaljedi said:

Β 

Do HOAs out there mandate the green lawns like they do everywhere else?Β  Because that would probably be a huge source of water use.

Β 

Grass is forbidden for new builds starting this year I believe.Β  Homeowners are also incentivized (The utility cuts you a check) to remove existing grass and replace it with xeriscaping or fake grass.

As a citizen of the Great Lakes megalopolis I’ll welcome all climate refugees with open arms, provided that we can get our zoning laws in order…
Β 

However

Β 

I have this vision that within my lifetime lower Michigan will be covered in shitty low density suburbia from US-10 to I-94, so I’m not too optimistic.Β 

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

Β 

Grass is forbidden for new builds starting this year I believe.Β  Homeowners are also incentivized (The utility cuts you a check) to remove existing grass and replace it with xeriscaping or fake grass.

Same here in my county

Β 

im replacing my front yard with drought resistant sometime this year. I can not justify grass during a droughtΒ 

Fake turf is becoming more common in my city, especially in newer areas with denser housing (detached and semi-detached row houses with tiny yards, etc). It's better than wasting water on a lawn, for sure (and still allows rain/snow to get into the soil)...but man, it looks awful considering we only have naturally green lawns for about 4-5 months per year. Kind of weird seeing bright green peaking through snow in November.

Β 

I prefer if people go to lower-maintenance lawns. We have a decent-sized front and back lawn, and we are transitioning to a mix of grass and clover. The only real reason we water is because our soil requires it to keep steady and prevent our house from shifting too much.

I don’t water or fertilize my yard, so it’s green from the spring to fall, brown in the winter. I would rather have no grass as I’m mildly allergic to it such that I’ll get small itchy red patches on me if I sit on grass and have direct contact.