Official World Cup 2022 thread cuz someone has to make it.

Zaku3

42 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

Winning a WC game is never easy, and the U.S. doesn’t really have the firepower and finishers to count on to score goals. Plus Iran is built for counter attacking, so the situation will favor them.

It really will. They're going to sit back, welcome the pressure, save their energy, and counter. They'll be okay with a tie because Wales isn't going to be beating England. 

The US has something like 5,000 work injury deaths every year. I think some of the criticism of Qatar on this front is a bit glass house-y by western media outlets, even though in a vacuum the criticism is valid.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The US has something like 5,000 work injury deaths every year. I think some of the criticism of Qatar on this front is a bit glass house-y by western media outlets, even though in a vacuum the criticism is valid.

To an extent sure. But comparing the US who has to support 330 million people to Qatar who's doing this to host a tournament (one they have no business hosting to begin with) whose infrastructure will likely not be used past 5 weeks of usage... it's not the same at all. Couple that with reports of near slave wages, poor living conditions, etc. etc. 

9 minutes ago, Comet said:

To an extent sure. But comparing the US who has to support 330 million people to Qatar who's doing this to host a tournament (one they have no business hosting to begin with) whose infrastructure will likely not be used past 5 weeks of usage... it's not the same at all. Couple that with reports of near slave wages, poor living conditions, etc. etc. 

“One is too many” was your prior standard :p 

I think the issue I continue to have with the way westerners speak about other countries is that we pretend because we live in the same year right now that every nation is on the same developmental level, when the reality is were you to compare countries like the US to Qatar at equivalent points in their development, we don’t look as shiny.

25 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

“One is too many” was your prior standard  

I think the issue I continue to have with the way westerners speak about other countries is that we pretend because we live in the same year right now that every nation is on the same developmental level, when the reality is were you to compare countries like the US to Qatar at equivalent points in their development, we don’t look as shiny.

Got it, that makes sense. My sentiment is comfortably couched around "Qatar don't play football, they're not a football nation, they bribed their way to host this event, they ruined domestic league scheduling, AND NOW people are also dying?" It's just the whole pointlessness of it all due to FIFA corruption. 

The pained look in the faces of the Ecuadorian players as time began to expire is brutal. Great game, elimination days are the best.

I also think it shows how playing for a draw is also an emotionally draining thing. Today shouldn’t be easy for the US or Iran.

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The pained look in the faces of the Ecuadorian players as time began to expire is brutal. Great game, elimination days are the best.

I also think it shows how playing for a draw is also an emotionally draining thing. Today shouldn’t be easy for the US or Iran.

I'm legit sad now because of it.

Edit: crap i'm gonna need to smoke. I'm really down now. I did want them to go through. Being empathetic to the point I could be considered a weak psyker is not good at times.

1 hour ago, Zaku3 said:

Btw guys I have decided. I want Portugal to win the World Cup. Not because I'm a Ronaldo fan but so I can feast on the salt it would generate.

They should win the final with a 90+min penalty that Ronaldo panekas for maximum chaos.

Family Guy Cockroach GIF

Make it better by having them beat Argentina. 

• True 1

20 minutes ago, Comet said:

Make it better by having them beat Argentina. 

Messi gets a red card for a foul on Ronaldo.

Also have both games on. Lol I should bring the 4k TV in my mom's bed room. Doing England vs Wales on my TV ainxe the coverage from the last game went into it. Got US vs Iran on my laptop. I wish Telemundo had 4k coverage. Though I kinda am liking fox's coverage. Lalas is terrible but it's nice seeing Landon, Dempsy, Beasly, etc again.

Edit: i forgot to mention I realized that while I do hate on the US at every oppurtunity. It clearly comes from a position of love considering how fast I hop on the freedom hype train.