US overdose deaths surged in 2020, especially among non-white populations

3000.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Government data show mortality among Black and Native people increased dramatically during the first year of the pandemic

Overdose death rates surged among Black, American Indian and Alaska Native individuals in 2020, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said on Tuesday.

The data, from 25 states and the District of Columbia, show the overdose death rate increased 44% for Black people and 39% for American Indian and Alaska Native people from 2019.

The overdose death rate has ballooned in other demographics as well. White people saw a 24% increase in overdose death rates.

The CDC said the increase in deaths was largely driven by illegally produced fentanyl and fentanyl analogs.

The US recorded 91,799 drug overdose deaths in 2020, about a 30% increase from 2019, according to the CDC.

• Sad 2

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to US overdose deaths surged in 2020, especially among non-white populations

This is a sign of a sick society. Our systems can’t give these people meaningful, satisfactory lives, and this is the result. Just an enormous amount of tragedy going around. This is what happens when your “free market” has no “safety net”

• Sad 1
  • Halal 1

9 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

This is a sign of a sick society. Our systems can’t give these people meaningful, satisfactory lives, and this is the result. Just an enormous amount of tragedy going around. This is what happens when your “free market” has no “safety net”

Shit is killing people who aren't even into heroin. Its getting into all illegal drugs. 

I wouldn't touch anything I didn't know where it came from.

The next 20 years in this country is gonna be something to behold.

the most dangerous cohort in any society are young unattached men and America is just churning them out now like it’s a five for five sale at Luckys. Deaths of despair is just one way this manifests. While it’s not just men dying of this obviously, anecdotally they are who I treat primarily in my ED.

1 hour ago, TUFKAK said:

The next 20 years in this country is gonna be something to behold.

the most dangerous cohort in any society are young unattached men and America is just churning them out now like it’s a five for five sale at Luckys. Deaths of despair is just one way this manifests. While it’s not just men dying of this obviously, anecdotally they are who I treat primarily in my ED.

War adventuring is... good?