Anyone have experience pursuing work from home jobs?

Fizzzzle

I'm kind of stuck. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to have enough money for bills this month. When my money is great, it's great, and when it's not, it's not. I don't see how just moving to a different bar would be better, I basically have one of the best bar jobs you can have without staying in one place for 15 years or working in Vegas. I'm barely scraping by. Then today they told me they're probably getting rid of one my shifts.

I just like, don't know where to go from here? It feels like everything is just a lateral move and I'll be dealing with the same shit in 2 months.

I thought about something like data entry, since I'm quite handy with spreadsheets, but like... I don't even know where to start. I've basically only worked in bars since I was 17.

And it's not just a moving to New Orleans thing. It was already happening in Portland before I left. Trying to be financially comfortable without balancing 3 jobs was impossible. Trying to juggle that kind of work load took a massive toll on my mental health, to the point of actual insomnia - hallucinations and everything.

I just kind of feel like I don't know where to go.

1 hour ago, Rachel said:

Yeah I work from home. It’s not hard to get basic admin jobs like this but they don’t pay well. $15 an hour or so. Not sure if that’s an upgrade or not. 

If you are open to working in offices or something too, temp agencies are a pretty good way to get your foot in the door. Most assignments are temp to permanent, and they are more willing to hire people with less experience. 

Most states offer some kind of free career counseling and advice and help with resume writing and applying to jobs. I bet something like that could help you get some get some helpful insight. 

Ngl I liked the mentally unstable you much better than the all serious and helpful you. 

1 hour ago, Rachel said:

Yeah I work from home. It’s not hard to get basic admin jobs like this but they don’t pay well. $15 an hour or so. Not sure if that’s an upgrade or not. 

If you are open to working in offices or something too, temp agencies are a pretty good way to get your foot in the door. Most assignments are temp to permanent, and they are more willing to hire people with less experience. 

Most states offer some kind of free career counseling and advice and help with resume writing and applying to jobs. I bet something like that could help you get some get some helpful insight. 

I'd rather take a guaranteed $15/hour than "spin the roulette wheel on whether you're going to get $40/hour or nothing", which is pretty much what I do now

That sucks. I hated that toward the end of my retail days, where I would show up at 6am and they would send half of us home at 8 when the store opened. Cool, that’s basically a day off, but shit, I’m hourly and living paycheck to paycheck here.

Like I don’t exactly love my current job, but I know it’s always going to be there on a set schedule. I’m not making a lot of money, but I’ve recently built up just enough savings that I can almost relax a little

• Halal 1

I work from home in insurance claims and a lot of insurance companies should let you work from home. Claims is really a customer service job because people get mad af when you gotta deny shit. So just play up your customer service experience. Explain how bartending is working with people and how you gotta listen to their stories for tips and how you deal with drunk assholes and you can probably make it work. You could get a lower level job and start around 35k or try to get into claims And probably start around 45-50k.

• Halal 1

3 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I work from home in insurance claims and a lot of insurance companies should let you work from home. Claims is really a customer service job because people get mad af when you gotta deny shit. So just play up your customer service experience. Explain how bartending is working with people and how you gotta listen to their stories for tips and how you deal with drunk assholes and you can probably make it work. You could get a lower level job and start around 35k or try to get into claims And probably start around 45-50k.

I could probably keep my bar job on weekends, too. It's not like I have a social life.

There should be, plus data entry and customer service is generally not that draining and would allow for some extra work as well.

I used to find it pretty easy going working in a school Monday to Friday, working evenings, and then every 3 weeks working the weekend. It wasn’t long term but with a purpose in mind, it was doable.

There will definitely be things like contact centre work that allow you to work from home. Talking to people all day is a decent way to get by, plus there’s always loads of OT during peak times.