How does Mexico work?

Derek

Do the police have an arrangement with the cartels to leave the tourist hot spots alone and, in return, they can go fucking nuts everywhere else?

A story popped on my google feed about 7 bodies dropped along some popular tourist road, with cartel warnings written on them with markers. And in related stories, we had '7 bodies hung from a bridge' and 'Mass grave contains remains from 41 different bodies'. I also saw a picture of a SUV that literally had the cartels name on it with a decal. 

I'm sure there are beautiful areas there, but I couldn't vacation someplace that has a road nicknamed 'highway of death'. Sounds like a terrifying place.

20 minutes ago, Derek said:

Do the police have an arrangement with the cartels to leave the tourist hot spots alone and, in return, they can go fucking nuts everywhere else?

A story popped on my google feed about 7 bodies dropped along some popular tourist road, with cartel warnings written on them with markers. And in related stories, we had '7 bodies hung from a bridge' and 'Mass grave contains remains from 41 different bodies'. I also saw a picture of a SUV that literally had the cartels name on it with a decal. 

I'm sure there are beautiful areas there, but I couldn't vacation someplace that has a road nicknamed 'highway of death'. Sounds like a terrifying place.

USA gun manufacturers sells guns to the cartels and the USA buys their drugs. In exchange they terrorize Mexicans for power and destabilize the country, allowing the US government to strike more favorable trade. Meanwhile the same American politicians make noise about Caravans ensuring their reelection in a lot of the country. It's a win win for Cartels and the USA. 

I’m sure people in other countries see the stories of mass shootings here and think the same thing about us.

When you live there, you just get used to it and learn where to generally not go/just kind of try to assume you won’t be one of the statistics.

• True 1

16 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m sure people in other countries see the stories of mass shootings here and think the same thing about us.

When you live there, you just get used to it and learn where to generally not go/just kind of try to assume you won’t be one of the statistics.

Can confirm with my wife’s family. They don’t live in fear of it everyday. You just get numb to it and carry on with your life.