April jobs report: unemployment at 50-year low (3.6%), 428k jobs added

DKWOCQGLVUI6ZN7OOTYJ3AT4UY.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

The job market’s rapid rebound has been a cornerstone of the pandemic recovery and a major political asset for the Biden administration.

I like this story of the tight market:

Leah Kush, who lives near Chicago, recently left her 11-year job in the radio industry for a position at a digital marketing firm. It all happened very quickly: Kush applied in early April, interviewed a week later and received a job offer less than 24 hours after that.

“It was so easy that I was like, ‘Wow, this was meant to be,’ ” the 41-year-old said. “I feel alive again.”

Kush is making 33 percent more than at her last job, where she hadn’t gotten a raise in eight years.

“There was no extra pay, but they kept piling stuff on my plate,” she said. “Finally in January, I said, ‘I have to find something new.’ And I’m so glad that I did.”

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Meanwhile all the major indexes are down 6-13% over the past three months. Some good opportunity in the market right now for anyone with cash on hand, cause there's no way it'll stay down with these numbers.

Productivity and labor costs are down/up respectively. I wonder if those relate to the market trends we're seeing at all.

59 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

In case you were wondering how the Republican messaging is going

What was Obama's unemployment numbers when Trump and other Republicans were saying they were fake and the REAL unemployment was 10% or 20%?

I remember because right after taking office Spicer started taking credit for such great unemployment numbers and a reporter asked him somewhat sarcastically  "So President Trump thinks these unemployment numbers are real now". And the smug prick just smirked and said, "Yeah, these ones are real".

My point is though that Obama was riding....what....4.5% or something. So that was catastrophically high unemployment. But Biden is at 3.5% and all of a sudden is catastrophic worker shortage!

I mean, that's all ignoring the fact that worker shortage really just means workers with a slightly larger amount of room to value their work higher. The horror...the horror!

You want workers, pay better wages fuckstick. If you can't pay better wages than you go out of business because your ass just got naturally selected to get eaten in the shark tank that is capitalism. Oh, but I forgot, cut throat Capitalism rules are only good when they benefit the business and fuck over the employees. When it's the other way around they want to fetter the shit out of it.