PS5 SSD Upgrade?

HardAct

This is old news to you lucky PS5 owners that have been enjoying your console for over 16 MONTHS NOW! now {CRAZY It took me that long to get one!} What m.2 ssd if any did you upgrade with? Prices have come down a bit but 2Tb drives just seem like a bit much to add too $500 price tag. Not that that has EVER stopped me but after installing FF7 ps5 upgrade, Ghosts of Tsushima, Odd World and Returnal I have just about 300 gig left. I don't see the value at all now in the Digital version, well other than $100 bucks can be a lot for some. A upgrade ssd you guys recommend? Probably a 1Tb, I bought the 1Tb Series X SSD and that was $219. I was really disappointed that my 970 Evo M.2 wasn't compatible dang it. I've seen some 2Tb drives for around $299, I don't want to cheap out though if there's a real quality over price point I'll error on the more expensive name brand like Samsung or maybe Western digital, Crucial etc. What's in your console guys? Oh and Heatsinks, on or off? Does the metal plate cover act as a heatsink on PS5? I know there is YouTube but I prefer these boards!

8 minutes ago, HardAct said:

This is old news to you lucky PS5 owners that have been enjoying your console for over 16 MONTHS NOW! now {CRAZY It took me that long to get one!} What m.2 ssd if any did you upgrade with? Prices have come down a bit but 2Tb drives just seem like a bit much to add too $500 price tag. Not that that has EVER stopped me but after installing FF7 ps5 upgrade, Ghosts of Tsushima, Odd World and Returnal I have just about 300 gig left. I don't see the value at all now in the Digital version, well other than $100 bucks can be a lot for some. A upgrade ssd you guys recommend? Probably a 1Tb, I bought the 1Tb Series X SSD and that was $219. I was really disappointed that my 970 Evo M.2 wasn't compatible dang it. I've seen some 2Tb drives for around $299, I don't want to cheap out though if there's a real quality over price point I'll error on the more expensive name brand like Samsung or maybe Western digital, Crucial etc. What's in your console guys? Oh and Heatsinks, on or off? Does the metal plate cover act as a heatsink on PS5? I know there is YouTube but I prefer these boards!

Just saw this on Amazon Samsung 980 pro 1tb 139.99 that seems pretty good? and the same drive but in 2Tb On Amazon for 269.99? probably just about best you can do and I have good experience with most everything Samsung, so there's that . . .

SX?

I do enjoy having many games at my finger tips. The thought of having to install, move, reinstall, patch, update, tc doesn't sound fun. The install for Returnal was like watching paint dry. I even had the disc version! For whatever reason it seems like at least 2x as long to install, update, anything vs. Series X. Was the same with X1X vs. Ps4Pro. I do have a pretty good fast wifi. Steam games and updates are so much faster and I do not know why. I average 350-400 Mbps too! HERE is a wifi test I just did of 9ping 420+ Mbps. Anyone know if it's just how it is on PS consoles or maybe I have to change something in settings?

25 minutes ago, HardAct said:

Oh ok, yea Series X if you can just get the one thing any day! SSD prices should continue to fall anyway, I would hope so anyways!

Yeah I can get it on Saturday so it’s super tempting with the timing of bday money + availability buttttt I have my pc so there is some redundancy 

But also I’m not happy with streaming solutions for gaming on my room tv so it would be nice to have something good there to play on the big screen in bed because that is still a 65” 4k hdr tv also.

4 hours ago, HardAct said:

SX?

I do enjoy having many games at my finger tips. The thought of having to install, move, reinstall, patch, update, tc doesn't sound fun. The install for Returnal was like watching paint dry. I even had the disc version! For whatever reason it seems like at least 2x as long to install, update, anything vs. Series X. Was the same with X1X vs. Ps4Pro. I do have a pretty good fast wifi. Steam games and updates are so much faster and I do not know why. I average 350-400 Mbps too! HERE is a wifi test I just did of 9ping 420+ Mbps. Anyone know if it's just how it is on PS consoles or maybe I have to change something in settings?

If your PS5 is connected to the 2ghz Wifi its gonna be slow, move it over to 5ghz if you arent on it. 

24 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

If your PS5 is connected to the 2ghz Wi fi its gonna be slow, move it over to 5ghz if you aren't on it. 

Of course it's 5htz. The main living room TV our LGC1 83" is just 10 feet from the modem too. So it baffles me mostly. All consoles download rather quickly and it's always the ps4, and ps5 that's lagging behind. I'm not judging between the two, I like them both. Hate downloading large file and or games from the PSN if it can't even take advantage quite frankly of great Wi Fi very fast speeds! All my Steam Games and anything downloaded from Game pass PC is snappy and very quick, so is Nintendo switch, downloads new purchases very quickly. I'm just asking if someone knows as to why, settings wrong? Don't think so but! I'm glad to try, hell anything really to fix this it so painful watching just a little 25gig install. 25 minutes to download, oh and then 30 for the install itself, so frustrating to me.....

5 hours ago, HardAct said:

Just saw this on Amazon Samsung 980 pro 1tb 139.99 that seems pretty good? and the same drive but in 2Tb On Amazon for 269.99? probably just about best you can do and I have good experience with most everything Samsung, so there's that . . .

I picked up the 2TB version for mine. For PS4 games I have a 4TB external. I am hoping between the 2 and the default drive it should last for a little bit.

35 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This one is half off if you want to go with Seagate

Seagate-1TB-FireCuda-530-Internal-SSD-wi
WWW.GAMESTOP.COM

Buy Seagate 1TB FireCuda 530 Internal SSD with Heatsink PlayStation 5 Compatible at GameStop. Find release dates, customer reviews, previews, and more.

gone christmas GIF

Waffling on this ADATA 2Tb 239.99 or this Samsung 980 Pro 279.99 40 dollars difference isn't bad at all but it doesn't come with a Heatsink either, THOUGHTS? The Samsung seems rock solid from reviews all over the web especially for the PS5 but man I didn't want to spend this much, or even buy a expansion M.2 this early either. I have Deathloop. Dying Light 2, Spiderman: MM, Returnal, FFVII, "NEW" Oddworld, Rocket League, Ghosts of Tsushima  and that's it installed. 

These drives are so very expensive but it does make sense now why the consoles only have 1Tb storage space. Keeping these at 499.99 is crucial. I'm very disappointed by the amount of space the PS5 has when you first hook it up. I didn't realize the PS5 only has a 825GB, Having just the 730Gb {give or take, maybe 750Gb?} available was a bit of a shock really. Aren't they advertising both consoles as having 1Tb internal drives? Then again a 2Tb upgrade for the PS5 ranging between $240 - $300 compared to the XSX 2Tb Proprietary Drives cost 399.99!! I guess the PS5 is faster? Tough to add 400 to a 500 console even if I have the money, it just feels wrong! Thoughts? I decided to grab a 1Tb XSX SSD 219.99 and the 2tb Samsung 980 pro w/heatsink for PS5 at 289.99. that's $130 dollar difference thus making the PS5 seem much more palatable to say the least right?