New anime season. Whatchu watching?

Board is slow enough, so I figured I'd ask.

My biggest favorites from last season were My Dress Up Darling, Kotaro Lives Alone, and Ranking of Kings. That's a lot of children going through really depressing shit. Fun. My Dress Up Darling was a great romcom, but last winter's Horimiya still beats it. Same studio too, so props to CloverWorks.

Spring 2022 looks pretty good so far.

Spy x Family is off to an amazing start...

Also to note. CloverWorks won all the praise for their adaptation of My Dress Up Darling. They're really going to win two seasons in a row here.

There's also the ever chaotic Kaguya-sama: Love is War Ultra Romantic...

If you've never seen the series, I'll buck the anime fan trend. Catch the English dub. It's crack cocaine in audio form, in the best way possible.

There's season 4 of Kingdom...

Who doesn't like watching a fantastical retelling of the brutal conquest, I mean unifying of China?

There are a couple other shows I do have a passing interest in and may check out, but I oftentimes just catch them half way into the season if I'm on the fence.

Netflix does have Bubble and Spriggan coming up.

Netflix will also continue to caving to fan demands on not waiting out the entire season before releasing Komi Can't Communicate. They aren't going day and date like Crunchyroll, but even a few weeks as they did with season 1 last year is better than what they normally do.

There's also some new Gundam on the way and Toei has recovered from their hack, so One Piece is set to return this coming week.

Should be a fun season.

4 minutes ago, Bacon said:

None, but I've read the Spy x Family Manga. 

The first episode is basically a one for one retelling of the first chapter of the manga.

CloverWorks did the same thing with My Dress Up Darling where the manga was very nearly the storyboard for the anime. It was enough that Shinichi Fukuda admitted she was left crying after seeing her manga adapted so faithfully.

You can pretty much perfectly line up manga panels for screenshots of the anime.

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

Currently watching the dub release week to week of Attack on Titan - The Final Season - Part 2. Part 2 really legitimized part 1, so far I've been very happy. Nothing else currently though.

I've been meaning to catch up with the dub once after the kids go to bed. Fun that the second half of the last season is getting split again. How many ways can you split one season before you have to admit it's just 3 shorter seasons?

4 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I've been meaning to catch up with the dub once after the kids go to bed. Fun that the second half of the last season is getting split again. How many ways can you split one season before you have to admit it's just 3 shorter seasons?

Yeah, seriously. I knew the one chapter = one episode meant they likely have a Part 3 in them (9 chapters are still left after the end of part 2) and I imagine 9 chapters could get them to 10-12 episodes more. But man that was annoying to have confirmed. :p 

I'm also doing a re-watch of the original Macross with the ADV English dub but downloaded with the Japanese blu-ray release and it has been great so far, but only 10 episodes in.

6 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, seriously. I knew the one chapter = one episode meant they likely have a Part 3 in them (9 chapters are still left after the end of part 2) and I imagine 9 chapters could get them to 10-12 episodes more. But man that was annoying to have confirmed. :p 

I'm also doing a re-watch of the original Macross with the ADV English dub but downloaded with the Japanese blu-ray release and it has been great so far, but only 10 episodes in.

Speaking of English dubs, why did nobody tell me the old, batshit insane English dub of Ghost Stories was on Crunchyroll? How did I miss that announcement? It's now become my cleaning the house background noise anime. No matter how stupidly offensive it is, it still holds up.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Speaking of English dubs, why did nobody tell me the old, batshit insane English dub of Ghost Stories was on Crunchyroll? How did I miss that announcement? It's now become my cleaning the house background noise anime. No matter how stupidly offensive it is, it still holds up.

I remember that one! A part of me was, as usual as a diehard anime fan, repulsed by all the changes. On the other hand, the original show in Japanese was terrible, so might as well make it very funny. I lean the latter despite my instincts!

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I remember that one! A part of me was, as usual as a diehard anime fan, repulsed by all the changes. On the other hand, the original show in Japanese was terrible, so might as well make it very funny. I lean the latter despite my instincts!

I'm not even sure how much of it I should even really post. It's... highly offensive.

It's so wildly stupid. I don't know how this wasn't just something made to air on Adult Swim at like 2am. I was reading about how Kaguya-sama's season 3 would be getting an English dub soon since I'm holding out because I actually do love the crazy energy of the English dub. Somewhere along the way I discovered Ghost Stories was on Crunchyroll and there's no turning back from that.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

I'm not even sure how much of it I should even really post. It's... highly offensive.

It's so wildly stupid. I don't know how this wasn't just something made to air on Adult Swim at like 2am. I was reading about how Kaguya-sama's season 3 would be getting an English dub soon since I'm holding out because I actually do love the crazy energy of the English dub. Somewhere along the way I discovered Ghost Stories was on Crunchyroll and there's no turning back from that.

The dub actors just go for broke, as do the adaptation writers and it's just bonkers. They probably should have provided two versions of the show (an accurate dub and whatever the hilarious fuck thing they created) but fuggit I guess. Is the Kaguya-sama dub similar?

24 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

The dub actors just go for broke, as do the adaptation writers and it's just bonkers. They probably should have provided two versions of the show (an accurate dub and whatever the hilarious fuck thing they created) but fuggit I guess. Is the Kaguya-sama dub similar?

Pretty close. Kaguya-sama has that narrator. Well, for the English dub they grabbed Ian Sinclair, pumped him full of cocaine and coffee, and told him to just adlib the shit out of it. Combine that with the rest of the great English cast feeding off that energy and just going all out.

Kaguya-sama is one of those impossible to replace Japanese dubs but somehow they did it and then some. I actually enjoy it in English more than in Japanese.

Now the only impossible English dub is Asobi Asobase, but I don't know if that one is possible because I'm pretty sure they killed someone in the booth for that series.

@Greatoneshere Here's the last spoilery clip I can find from season 2.

Just a lot of stuff like that.

• Shocked 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how, but the folks over at CloverWorks animation have managed to keep every episode of Spy x Family this far exceptionally well paced. There aren't any lulls in the script, but there also isn't too much to keep up with. They're mostly going straight 1 for 1 with the manga, but smartly stretching out or adding all new scenes in all the right places to keep the anime from ever getting boring while keeping it from becoming overwhelming.

It's seriously good. Easily my pick for that anime series you recommend to folks that don't watch much anime. I wonder if they'll manage to keep up the quality for the rest of the season. Still, four episodes in makes for some incredible work on their part.

• Thanks 1

This anime is on Hidive, so I missed its start. However, this anime seems uniquely designed to offend @Commissar SFLUFAN as much as possible.

Famed Chinese strategist Zhuge Liang from the Three Kingdoms era is reincarnated in modern day Japan and becomes the manger for an up and coming pop idol.

It is wildly stupid. I like it, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone but the biggest anime weirdos.

Ok, I've got to talk about Ya Boy Kongming right now after the latest episode featured a whole 192! bar rap battle. It was basically the entire episode and it was glorious. Oddly enough, this is the third rap battle I've seen this anime season. First in Aharen-san wa Hakarenai, then in Kaguya-sama Love is War, and now in Ya Boy Kongming.

I feel bad for the translator here.

• Shocked 1

• 1 month later...

Figured I'd bump this since the spring anime season is coming to a close. This also has nothing to do with my wonder of what this costs would look like with four anime threads up top. Nope.

Either way, today was the last episode of Ya Boy Kongming with no announcements for a second season. This was a seriously great first season and easily the biggest surprise of the season. I wasn't expecting one of my favorite anime of the year to be an idol Isekai, but here we are.

I should also note Spy x Family has been a BB wildly great anime. I knew the source material was good, but damn me is this adaptation nearly perfect. Every episode is over in the blink of an eye. Somehow they managed to tell a better dodgeball story, complete with multiple training montages that Dodgeball, and all within twenty minutes.

Seriously, if anybody doesn't watch much in the way of anime, Spy x Family might still be worth checking out.