Jurassic Park: Dominion (NEW Trailer added)

silentbob

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I watched this last night thanks to having renewed my AMC subscription, and it was pretty bad. Really, it's mostly the writing that really needed to be re-examined. They completely squander the setup for this film in a way that I find hard to comprehend.

Spoiler

So the setup for this film is that now dinosaurs are everywhere running wild. Despite my better instincts, I'm willing to mostly set aside how silly that premise is given the events of the last film (how could it possibly take THREE YEARS to capture the T-Rex?!? Where is it hiding?). Still, it doesn't matter how we got there, let's enjoy the fact that we can make a movie about dinosaurs being present worldwide. How cool is that?

Well, I guess the writers didn't think it was very cool, because instead of playing with the idea that dinos are everywhere, they intimidately have a new evil tech company build another Jurassic Park, or at least another small area where they will contain the dinosaurs. At least that means the plot will largely revolve around all the dinos that are everywhere, right?

Of course not. Instead the primary plot revolves around a cartoonishly evil plan involving gigantic locusts. The dinosaurs hardly matter to the larger scheme going on. Even the secondary plot has to do with rescuing a little girl, but not from dinosaurs, but instead from evil Tim Cook. A rescue that largely happens by accident and really feels poorly considered. The most dino-centric plot element is that Chris Pratt promises his favorite raptor that he'll save its baby, and he's willing to risk his own life, Grant's life, and his daughter's life in order to do so. 

The film is pretty, and I think they used a decent amount of physical dinosaurs throughout. They also did a better job of utilizing the classic score than the previous films. I continue to love all the old cast and dislike the new folks. Pratt and Dallas Howard have zero chemistry. The pilot lady has no motivation that makes any sense. Evil Tim Cook is as paper thin a villain as I've ever seen. Thank goodness for Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum, and Sam Neil.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of dinosaurs in this movie, and they eat people and create temporary tension, but I can't help but find it strange that this is a movie that is largely not about dinosaurs in any important sense. You start with the premise that dinosaurs are everywhere and end the film highlighting that fact, but fail to do anything interesting with that at all.

• Halal 1