Ridley Scott hops on Martin Scorcese's superhero hate train

It's interesting, I liked Hereditary but didn't think much more of it other than it was a gorgeous technical showcase. But a film that has a 7.3 on IMDb (after 292,000 votes) and a 90% top critics (8.4/10), a 89% all critics (8.3/10) and a 69% audience score (3.5/5 after 10,000+ votes) on RottenTomatoes means the film was received very well by any demonstrable metric. Even on MetaCritic (a kind of trashier/crazier place for user scores in particular) it has an 87 critics score after 49 reviews and a 6.6 user score after 1,100 votes. These scores are not just good, they're great. The only indication of even a slight negative bent is the audience score on RottenTomatoes (still good, a 69% and a 3.5/5 are fresh) and the user score on MetaCritic (a 6.6 is not good, I grant). The movie made $80 million total globally for what was essentially a small, cheap indie horror film, so it was a box office success as well.

I get most people on this board did not like the film, or writer/director Ari Aster's follow up Midsommar (which I thought was actually really good, particularly the director's cut) but it's clear Hereditary is considered a very good film by a lot of people from what I can tell.

• Halal 1

Hereditary was ok.. nothing special. Toni Collete makes that film work... I watched that movie with my teenaged nieces and nephews who love horror films and they thought "it was trash" in their words :p I don't know Ari Aster but I know people who know him and they've all said he's a HUGE asshole :p

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Hereditary was ok.. nothing special. Toni Collete makes that film work... I watched that movie with my teenaged nieces and nephews who love horror films and they thought "it was trash" in their words :p I don't know Ari Aster but I know people who know him and they've all said he's a HUGE asshole :p

Yup, it's basically a Toni Collete showcase but everything else is just eh.

• True 1

18 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

i teach teenagers and they laugh at shit that's not even funny because they've still not matured fully yet. some teenagers can absolutely ruin a moviegoing experience lol. That's def not a movie that I would expect teenagers to like. 

But yes Toni Collette is a powerhouse in that movie. That's why she was robbed of an Oscar nomination.