sblfilms does Fantastic Fest 2018

Figured I’d go ahead and kick this off even though we are 4 weeks out as the fest just announced the second wave of programming including opening night film, Halloween!

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/08/22/halloween-headlines-fantastic-fests-second-wave-of-programming

Here is an an article on the first wave

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/07/31/behold-the-first-wave-of-fantastic-fest-2018-programming

These are the currently announced films that I’m immediately drawn to:

APOSTLE

United Kingdom, 2018

World Premiere, 129 min

Director - Gareth Evans

The year is 1905. Thomas Richardson travels to a remote island to rescue his sister after she’s kidnapped by a mysterious religious cult demanding a ransom for her safe return. It soon becomes clear that the cult will regret the day it baited this man, as he digs deeper and deeper into the secrets and lies upon which the commune is built.

BORDER
Sweden, Denmark, 2018
Texas Premiere, 108 min
Director - Ali Abbasi
When a border guard with a sixth sense for identifying smugglers encounters the first person she cannot prove is guilty, she is forced to confront terrifying revelations about herself and humankind.

DONNYBROOK
USA, 2018
US Premiere, 101 min
Director - Tim Sutton
In Attendance - Tim Sutton
Frank Grillo and Jamie Bell are just two of the desperate men and women headed for “The Donnybrook” — a no-holds-barred bare-knuckle fight contest with a $100,000 prize — in this midwestern gothic journey into a heartland of darkness.

HALLOWEEN
USA, 2018
US Premiere, 105 min
Director - David Gordon Green
In Attendance - Jamie Lee Curtis and Producers Malek Akkad, Jason Blum and Bill Block
Jamie Lee Curtis returns to her iconic role as Laurie Strode, who comes to her final confrontation with Michael Myers, the masked figure who has haunted her since she narrowly escaped his killing spree on Halloween night four decades ago. 

HOLD THE DARK
USA, 2018
US Premiere, 125 min
Director - Jeremy Saulnier
In Attendance - Director Jeremy Saulnier and Co-Writer/Actor Macon Blair
A gripping psychological thriller unfolds in the treacherous Alaskan wilderness when a retired wolf expert is summoned to investigate a child’s disappearance. 

THE INNOCENT
Switzerland, Germany, 2018
US Premiere, 113 min
Director - Simon Jaquemet
In this dark and fantastical tale about religion versus science and good versus evil, a woman’s faith is being tested as her ex-lover reappears in her life after twenty years in jail.

KEEP AN EYE OUT

France, 2018

North American Premiere, 73 min

Director - Quentin Dupieux

An absurd all-night interrogation set in a camp ‘70s police station, Quentin Dupieux’s latest opus, KEEP AN EYE OUT, is a celebration of his own brand of quirky, offbeat humor, performed by France’s most refreshing comedic talents.

MAY THE DEVIL TAKE YOU
Indonesia, 2018
North American Premiere, 110 min
Director - Timo Tjahjanto
At her father’s deathbed, Alfie learns that she and her family must give the Devil his due when he comes to collect on the pact made years before in this electrifying horror film from Indonesian master storyteller Timo Tjahjanto.

OVERLORD

USA, 2018

World Premiere, TBD min

Director - Julius Avery

In Attendance - Director Julius Avery and cast including Jovan Adepo, Wyatt Russell, Pilou Asbaek, John Magaro, and Mathilde Ollivier

In the upcoming WWII horror-thriller OVERLORD, a group of American paratroopers drop into Nazi-occupied France on the eve of D-Day. As they struggle to carry out their seemingly

impossible mission, they discover a secret Nazi lab carrying out terrifying and bizarre supernatural experiments.

THE STANDOFF AT SPARROW CREEK
USA, 2018
US Premiere, 88 min
Director - Henry Dunham
Over the course of one grueling night, a militia tears itself apart as it searches for the perpetrator of a mass shooting among its own.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Is this the thing you got shitfaced at last year?

No, that’s Cinemacon! The studios throw some ragers :lol:

3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I'm excited for anything from Jeremy Saulnier.

How many films do you end up seeing over the duration?

Last year I second-halfed the fest and got in some 12 or 13 films in. Looking to hit around 20 this year since I’m going the whole 8 days.

2 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Oh man, new movie from Gareth "The Raid" Evans. I'm jelly. 

May be the one I’m most excited for!

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Nice. I love the cast and concept. Let us know how it is.

And most importantly it is written and directed by Drew Goddard, who wrote Cloverfield, solely adapted The Martian, and co-wrote and directed The Cabin in the Woods. He's also responsible for writing some of the best episodes of Buffy, Angel, Alias, and Lost. He's also the guy who was brought on to re-write and fixed/saved the last act of World War Z at the eleventh hour (which worked). 

Guy is mega-talented and I think this movie will be a lot of fun and really good. Let us know what you think of every film you see there @sblfilms - especially curious to hear about Gareth Evans' new movie. I'm sad he's since announced he's given up on making a Raid 3 but I'll watch anything this guy makes. 

• 2 weeks later...

5 movies in, and all have been varying degrees of good, but the stand out was The Perfection which stars Logan Browning and Allison Williams.

Holy moly, watch this movie as soon as you can and don’t read/see ANYTHING about it. It’s such a wild ride that subverts your expectations at every turn.

Will post some some brief thoughts on each film from the first two days tomorrow.

Also just had my first Frodo Baggins sighting of the fest. Wood is a staple of the Fest and the Austin film scene generally.