Live action cast for Netflix's One Piece revealed...

Ghost_MH

@Ghost_MH dude way more than that. 

The live-action titles are: Love Like The Falling Petals (film, premiering March 23, 2022); Alice in Borderland s2 (series, 2022); First Love (series, 2022); Yu Yu Hakusho (series, 2023); Once Upon a Crime (film, undated); Love is Blind: Japan(unscripted series, February 2022); Last One Standing (unscripted series, March 2022); Toma Ikuta (documentary, Spring 2022); Gundam (film, undated).

AAAABXlt7Skny36UA9hDgsK0f_vScFeMVe1nCvHp
DEADLINE.COM

The company said it is planning to bet big on feature films.

• Thanks 1

Live action One Piece sounds insanely impossible to pull off. Yu Yu Hakusho maybe, because it is connected to the real world, but the whole point of One Piece is how insanely imaginative every place, location, person is. You'd need Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets money, and it'd still be impossible because you also have insane superpowers that you'd also need to depict on screen.

It's an incredibly dumb idea. We'll see.

31 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Live action One Piece sounds insanely impossible to pull off. Yu Yu Hakusho maybe, because it is connected to the real world, but the whole point of One Piece is how insanely imaginative every place, location, person is. You'd need Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets money, and it'd still be impossible because you also have insane superpowers that you'd also need to depict on screen.

It's an incredibly dumb idea. We'll see.

One Piece should legitimately be impossible. I don't understand how is supposed to work. The powers make no sense. The world makes no sense. Even the way they get around makes little too no sense. One Piece is what if shounen was a horny fever dream and I took lots of drugs. What's crazier is that Oda is actually working with Netflix here. Oda isn't exactly sane, so I gave no idea what to expect.

Yu Yu Hakusho is something else entirely. That series is totally doable as a live action series. A lot of it will look silly, but that's a given for most of these anime adaptations.

37 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

One Piece should legitimately be impossible. I don't understand how is supposed to work. The powers make no sense. The world makes no sense. Even the way they get around makes little too no sense. One Piece is what if shounen was a horny fever dream and I took lots of drugs. What's crazier is that Oda is actually working with Netflix here. Oda isn't exactly sane, so I gave no idea what to expect.

Yu Yu Hakusho is something else entirely. That series is totally doable as a live action series. A lot of it will look silly, but that's a given for most of these anime adaptations.

Yeah basically all of this. Your description of One Piece is what makes it such a great manga and anime, it's just something that can't work in live-action.

• 8 months later...
11 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I dunno if we are making a different topic for the Yu Yu Hakusho but here is a teaser 🤫

They've already revealed some of the main cast.

yyh.jpeg
WWW.ANIMENEWSNETWORK.COM

Takumi Kitamura plays Yusuke Urameshi in series premiering in December 2023

This one could maybe work live action. It's not really doing much that's all that different from modern comicbook movies.

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I love the original Yu Yu Hakusho, making that live action makes more sense than One Piece, but just barely. And even though it can be done, I'm sure this will be bad.

It could work, there's just a lot of Yu Yu Hakusho that would feel weird, live action. This series, however, isn't your regular Netflix live action. This one is being handled by Robot, the same guys that did the live action Parasyte and Assassination Classroom.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

It could work, there's just a lot of Yu Yu Hakusho that would feel weird, live action. This series, however, isn't your regular Netflix live action. This one is being handled by Robot, the same guys that did the live action Parasyte and Assassination Classroom.

This looks great :thinking:

On 7/16/2022 at 2:08 PM, Ghost_MH said:

Were those good?

36 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Were those good?

Not as good as the live action Rurouni Kensin movies. They do try to go for as close as possible to a 1:1 adaptation of the source. Sometimes it works, sometimes I feel you should change things a bit to better fit the medium. What works in anime doesn't always work in live action, and that's a lesson these guys DON'T seem keen on learning. They want to be as close to the anime as possible, no matter how cringy or weirdly out of place some anime tropes wind up looking in live action.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Not as good as the live action Rurouni Kensin movies. They do try to go for as close as possible to a 1:1 adaptation of the source. Sometimes it works, sometimes I feel you should change things a bit to better fit the medium. What works in anime doesn't always work in live action, and that's a lesson these guys DON'T seem keen on learning. They want to be as close to the anime as possible, no matter how cringy or weirdly out of place some anime tropes wind up looking in live action.

Guess we'll see how this turns out then. I did like the Rurouni Kenshin movies, a rarity where I thought a live action Japanese production was good.