I lack empathy

SuperSpreader

19 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It's an incredibly overrated if not dangerous trait anyway.

To elaborate on this a bit further, "empathy" relies on experiencing the feelings of another person while "sympathy" involves understanding the feelings of another person.

The problem with "empathy" is its reliance on that experiential factor which is incredibly limiting when it comes to actual compassion.  If there is no empathetic experience, then there could very well be no resultant sense of compassion.  "Sympathy" is far superior when it comes to expressing compassion or acting compassionately because all that's required is "understanding" of the plight of another rather than "experiencing" that other person's troubles.

12 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

To elaborate on this a bit further, "empathy" relies on experiencing the feelings of another person while "sympathy" involves understanding the feelings of another person.

The problem with "empathy" is its reliance on that experiential factor which is incredibly limiting when it comes to actual compassion.  If there is no empathetic experience, then there could very well be no resultant sense of compassion.  "Sympathy" is far superior when it comes to expressing compassion or acting compassionately because all that's required is "understanding" of the plight of another rather than "experiencing" that other person's troubles.

Loving you more and more each day

I think it is a good practice to try and understand how other people feel, especially when their feelings are at odds with your own about the same or similar situations. 

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

You're not wrong, but the way 'empathy' is used colloquially is more or less synonymous with what you are describing. 

5 minutes ago, Rachel said:

My issue with empathy is that you simply can’t know for sure what another person is feeling. You can assume, and think you’re feeling it, but those feelings are based on your own experiences and perceptions. It may or may not be what the other person is actually feeling. It’s impossible to know. 

Right.  Like when I am horny and I naturally think you are feeling the same way.