Disney figured out the day and date is day and dumb

The-Walt-Disney-Company.jpg?w=1000
DEADLINE.COM

Disney's 'Eternals', 'Encanto', 'The Last Duel', 'West Side Story', 'The King's Man' and 'Ron's Gone Wrong'' will Hit Theaters Ahead Of Streaming Bow.

I’ve expected this for a while now, and I think the issue here is actually longevity in the market place. One of the difficult things doing streaming movies (not series) is keeping the film in the cultural conversation and driving more audience via word of mouth. By making their titles effectively movies of the week either the day and date strategy, it has hurt both the streaming AND theatrical business. 

Shorter windows will be the standard moving forward, but starting their big titles in theaters first where they typically are competing with no more than 2 other major titles at release allows the films to create buzz and positive word of mouth which will result in better box office and will prime them for stronger streaming runs a month or so later.

I'm still surprised how long it's taken to get to shorter windows given the viability of digital purchases / streaming. I keep wondering if some theaters will do something like give you $5 off buying the digital version if you get a movie ticket. I'm dumb and would probably buy more movies that way because "savings" but maybe I'm alone in being stupid in the particular way. 

I've always felt that movies released via streaming, no matter the quality, don't feel as big a deal compared to releasing in theaters. And when you see it in a theater, you always tend to remember it more than if you just watch it at home. Maybe it's because you proactively went out to see it, and it's at a venue as opposed to your casual everyday home environment. Or that you went with friends/family (maybe).

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

I've always felt that movies released via streaming, no matter the quality, don't feel as big a deal compared to releasing in theaters. And when you see it in a theater, you always tend to remember it more than if you just watch it at home. Maybe it's because you proactively went out to see it, and it's at a venue as opposed to your casual everyday home environment. Or that you went with friends/family (maybe).

That's because you normally decompress after watching a movie in theaters. Even if it's the last thing you do at night, you still need to go home while thinking about the movie. When you're watching a movie at home you can often just roll over into another activity or even into another movie. It's the same reason I've never enjoyed double features unless the second is a sequel to the first.

does this mean they'll admit they screwed up with Black Widow and settle with Scarjo? 

I have to say I like being able to see movies at home but it's definitely a different experience. I find I often multitask and only partially watch a movie. Like just yesterday I watched Malignant but at the same time I was checking email and the like. I definitely don't watch the movie as intently as I would if at a theater. 

8 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I'm still surprised how long it's taken to get to shorter windows given the viability of digital purchases / streaming. I keep wondering if some theaters will do something like give you $5 off buying the digital version if you get a movie ticket. I'm dumb and would probably buy more movies that way because "savings" but maybe I'm alone in being stupid in the particular way. 

Nah, I do stream and take advantage of free movies on Youtube but we buy some cheap movies here all the time, either used DVDs/Blu-ray or Ultra HD disc + digital combo. So yeah, I could see myself utilizing that, particularly if it were expanded to any version of the film.