If things like XCloud become a success (and work) - how long away do you think we are from the majority of gaming being entirely streamed from a television?

gamer.tv

We know how successful streaming has become with television and film, but do you think that streaming gmaes, once it becomes seamless, has the same possibility? I can still see a place for traditional consoles, but how many years do you estimate we are from people accessing a video game streaming service from their television Apps and playing without a traditional console in the room?

I'm going to suggest within 5 years it will be integrated and common (as we move from this generation into the next) and then once the next big evolution of internet becomes common place (much in the same way fibre become mostly the norm), would a safe bet be 10 years time for a high number of people playing video games being those without a traditional console at all to play AAA games?

Not until people demand better network infrastructure in more countries. Data caps and unreliable speeds being tolerated just makes it infeasible on a large scale right now. It's not like Netflix where you can just wait it out and let it buffer for a few seconds.

I

57 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Not until people demand better network infrastructure in more countries. Data caps and unreliable speeds being tolerated just makes it infeasible on a large scale right now. It's not like Netflix where you can just wait it out and let it buffer for a few seconds.

Hooray for first world! I play Xcloud on my lunch breaks with 5g all the time. Sucks to be you other countries! 

1 minute ago, BasemntDweller2 said:

Hooray for first world! I play Xcloud on my lunch breaks with 5g all the time. Sucks to be you other countries! 

I have 5G as well... and gigabit internet. The xcloud experience on either isn't what I'd call even decent. It's currently at "acceptable if I literally have nothing else" levels of quality, and that's on essentially the best possible internet. I can only imagine what it's like for the vast swaths of people using shitty internet.

36 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I have 5G as well... and gigabit internet. The xcloud experience on either isn't what I'd call even decent. It's currently at "acceptable if I literally have nothing else" levels of quality, and that's on essentially the best possible internet. I can only imagine what it's like for the vast swaths of people using shitty internet.

I have 5G and a 1.2Gb Internet connection. Still not stable for me at home. Sometimes it's perfect and then other times it's just not. Comcast sucks, though, so maybe that's the problem. It's a cable connection so my upload speeds are shit, but they should still be enough to keep things running smoothly. It's the same whether it's xCloud or Stadia.

Maybe if I had another choice for ISPs, but the next best connection is 5G followed by DSL.

Until ultra low latency connections are common, it won’t be the standard way people play high end games. I think 10-15 years before even a majority of people use it as the primary way they game.