Nine Days

32 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

@sblfilms Did you watch this movie?

They had a screening last week but I was on a quick trip with the fam. I’m sure I’ll catch it soon though.

• 2 weeks later...

I went into this movie a little skeptical. I wasn't sure how I would handle this weird, lo-fi, almost mumblecore vision of limbo (or whatever you want to call it). And I did have a hard time connecting to it for the first 20-30 minutes, but eventually I was able to get on its wavelength. And then I melted; I was an emotional wreck by the end. Simply beautiful stuff. 

• Thanks 1

The premise sank this thing from the start for me, and it comes twofold. The first has already been brought up by @CitizenVectron. One key thing about fiction that looks at the possibility of the after-life is that you can populate this world with people who have had a multitude of life experiences that they can bring into this new chapter and fill it with their regrets and memories and joys. However, when the writer here came up with the concept of a “pre-life” — however cute that concept may be on paper — you immediately have to solve the problem of your cast largely being comprised of what are essentially newborns. So to solve that, they present the dubious concept of these candidates being fully-formed individuals within a few hours of this inexplicable pre-existence.

But the more significant issue here is the selection process that’s left entirely to the errant whims of random individuals (how are they chosen? Who knows?!) and the idea of weeding out the majority of these pre-existers for one to move on to a body, and this process going by with almost no critical eye to it other than one of the candidates paying brief lip service to how it’s not fair. It’s like a dystopian future in which the hierarchy is never questioned on an explicit or implicit level and the storyline of the rebel fighting against the system is a mere blip in the course of the story.

And from there, you can spiral into more granular and picky critiques, but this is pretty much what went through my head the entire movie, and it made it difficult for anything to land when I found the basic premise to be so inherently flawed. The only thing I can say I liked (beyond the performances, everyone is quite good) is

Spoiler

The recreation of the experiences. Appreciated the theatricality of it.

Also not the biggest fan of how they executed the last scene.