SEC will vote to invite Texas and Oklahoma next week

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

:sick:

The purity of my SOUTHEASTERN conference has forever been sullied!  

What exactly are these teams SOUTHEAST of?  Canada?!?

They will now have 4 members of the old Southwest Conference! If they do go four divisions it would be cool to have OU/A&M/Texas/Arkansas together again.

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

:sick:

The purity of my SOUTHEASTERN conference has forever been sullied!  

What exactly are these teams SOUTHEAST of?  Canada?!?

I was hoping for UCF. Some people think they can't hang in the SEC, and I'm like... they beat Auburn, and if you're telling they can't, minimum, hang with Vanderbilt or Volunteers or Ole Miss, then I simply don't believe you.

Just seems weird that the biggest state in the southeast has one team representing it.

25 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I was hoping for UCF. Some people think they can't hang in the SEC, and I'm like... they beat Auburn, and if you're telling they can't, minimum, hang with Vanderbilt or Volunteers or Ole Miss, then I simply don't believe you.

Just seems weird that the biggest state in the southeast has one team representing it.

UCF would absolutely do damned well in the SEC.

5 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

It's all about the money and UCF doesn't have the money and popularity of a big school even if UCF is better than them.

On 7/23/2021 at 9:39 PM, Iculus said:

I'm surprised that the Crown Jules of the Big 12 would volunteer to be middling turds in another conference.

14 teams is a bit much. Kick Vandy to the ACC, and make the Miss. schools play as one or something. 

They are going to make an obscene amount of money, and the combination of prestige and an obscene amount of money gives people unrealistic expectations. Besides, better to be in the nexus of power than not. 

I think there are more questions now about what the Pac 12, Big Ten, and ACC will do than anything else. Texas and OU will be in the SEC and the Big 12 is done, and it's now up to those other conferences to do some realignment if they want to stay competitive with the SEC at all in the new era of image and likeness ownership for the athletes.

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I think there are more questions now about what the Pac 12, Big Ten, and ACC will do than anything else. Texas and OU will be in the SEC and the Big 12 is done, and it's now up to those other conferences to do some realignment if they want to stay competitive with the SEC at all in the new era of image and likeness ownership for the athletes.

Stay competitive? 

17 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Stay competitive? 

Yes.

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.
WWW.FORBES.COM

College conferences are due for $1.4 billion in TV money this coming season.

This is what the conferences are actually competing for. And moving Texas and OU into the SEC pulls more TV money into that conference. Remember, Texas is such a massive brand that they have their own network with ESPN. The other major conferences will need to realign and strengthen their roster if they want to be competitive with the SEC on media dollars. Media dollars affect school budgets, which affect coaching hires and retention, facilities. Media exposure now has a direct impact on athletes abilities to make money while in college, which affects recruiting.

Ensuring big time paydays and nationally broadcast TV exposure is the actual game here for the conferences and their affiliate schools. That’s why Texas and OU are bouncing, the Big 12 was going to see the spread between itself and the SEC grow rather wide in the next round of negotiations and the truth is those two schools completely carry those negotiations, yet they have to split the proceeds evenly. Better to go to the SEC and struggle to win championships while making obscene moves yes than to be better than vastly inferior schools and see shrinking returns in subsequent years.

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Yes.

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.
WWW.FORBES.COM

College conferences are due for $1.4 billion in TV money this coming season.

This is what the conferences are actually competing for. And moving Texas and OU into the SEC pulls more TV money into that conference. Remember, Texas is such a massive brand that they have their own network with ESPN. The other major conferences will need to realign and strengthen their roster if they want to be competitive with the SEC on media dollars. Media dollars affect school budgets, which affect coaching hires and retention, facilities. Media exposure now has a direct impact on athletes abilities to make money while in college, which affects recruiting.

Ensuring big time paydays and nationally broadcast TV exposure is the actual game here for the conferences and their affiliate schools. That’s why Texas and OU are bouncing, the Big 12 was going to see the spread between itself and the SEC grow rather wide in the next round of negotiations and the truth is those two schools completely carry those negotiations, yet they have to split the proceeds evenly. Better to go to the SEC and struggle to win championships while making obscene moves yes than to be better than vastly inferior schools and see shrinking returns in subsequent years.

With likeness ownership and the transfer portal college football will never be the same again. 

No doubt about that, which is why the other conferences have certainly ratcheted up discussion of realignment. What is tough is that I’m not sure you can have 3 other conferences that will be able to compete with this new SEC.

I’m really curious about the Pac 12. Feels like it is not long for this world either, but a tough logistics problem to put those big time programs into competition with Midwest and especially East coast schools. In some ways it would make more sense for the P12 to go aggressively for Texas and OU as that would bolster them a substantial amount without introducing quite as large of a travel burden given the shorter distances to Austin and Norman for those schools.

The ACC is interesting because it is a decent football conference and a great basketball conference, so maybe it picks up those mid tier Texas schools like a Baylor and TCU where you can keep up the basketball and football pedigree to a decent amount and bring in solid DFW media market eyeballs?

Whatever the case, the dominoes haven’t even begun to fall

11 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

No doubt about that, which is why the other conferences have certainly ratcheted up discussion of realignment. What is tough is that I’m not sure you can have 3 other conferences that will be able to compete with this new SEC.

I’m really curious about the Pac 12. Feels like it is not long for this world either, but a tough logistics problem to put those big time programs into competition with Midwest and especially East coast schools. In some ways it would make more sense for the P12 to go aggressively for Texas and OU as that would bolster them a substantial amount without introducing quite as large of a travel burden given the shorter distances to Austin and Norman for those schools.

The ACC is interesting because it is a decent football conference and a great basketball conference, so maybe it picks up those mid tier Texas schools like a Baylor and TCU where you can keep up the basketball and football pedigree to a decent amount and bring in solid DFW media market eyeballs?

Whatever the case, the dominoes haven’t even begun to fall

So probably the power five will likely soon not be referred to as such. We may even have a power three.

Also, zero chance this takes until 2025

ESPN is also trying to get the B12 to dissolve to get out of their deal, such that the B12 sent a cease and desist letter to ESPN 😂

I would be shocked if Texas and OU aren’t playing in the SEC by the 2023 season. Could be really fast if all parties can figure out the finances and the important schools find a new home.

Hoping for a Pac12 e passion that send my University if Houston Coogs into a real conference for the first time in 25 years.

Still generally don’t like the consolidation

• 2 weeks later...