Scott Cawthon retires.

CastletonSnob

villinaous-animatronic-peers-around-corn
WWW.NEWSWEEK.COM

In the wake of personal controversies surrounding Scott Cawthon, the "Five Nights at Freddy's Developer" has posted an official retirement message on his website.

I'm not saying what Cawthon did was right, but I can't believe people are surprised that a guy who, from what I've heard, is a devout Christian, leans right politically. These people know he made Christian games before FNAF, right?

49 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

They weren't poking, they were outright threatening him and his wife. It's criminal.

Who's "they?" Most of the people criticizing him were criticizing him for the hypocrisy of loving LGBTQIA+ while donating to people who rammed hundreds of anti LGBTQIA+ judges onto the courts. 

It's always a straight person talking about how it's "just" donations. I guess when you're the one who's feeling suicidal for being bullied or having to hide what you are from your own parents who are probably "devout Christians" like Cawthon, you think a little differently of people in power who actively don't care about your existence and make it harder to be.

4 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Who's "they?" Most of the people criticizing him were criticizing him for the hypocrisy of loving LGBTQIA+ while donating to people who rammed hundreds of anti LGBTQIA+ judges onto the courts. 

It's always a straight person talking about how it's "just" donations. I guess when you're the one who's feeling suicidal for being bullied or having to hide what you are from your own parents who are probably "devout Christians" like Cawthon, you think a little differently of people in power who actively don't care about your existence and make it harder to be.

And the gay people who donate to republicans?

Also, who said anything about criticism? Criticism is fine, but this wasn't that. It was a typical harassment campaign, including death threats to him and his wife. All this led by Kotaku, who knew exactly what they were doing by reporting on it. Donations aren't gaming news, and they got exactly what they wanted. It's disgusting, period, regardless of political affiliation. 

Again, he did nothing wrong, this is a democracy. The only thing wrong here are the people threatening him and his family. Its as wrong when the left does it as it is when the right does. 

18 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

And the gay people who donate to republicans?

Indeed, someone like Caitlyn Jenner actively harms the people she professes to support. Considering how few there are who are Republicans, it's pretty irrelevant when the community is being actively harmed by extremist right-wing judges rushed into office by Republicans.

Also, who said anything about criticism? Criticism is fine, but this wasn't that. It was a typical harassment campaign, including death threats to him and his wife. All this led by Kotaku, who knew exactly what they were doing by reporting on it. Donations aren't gaming news, and they got exactly what they wanted. It's disgusting, period, regardless of political affiliation. 

Again, he did nothing wrong, this is a democracy. The only thing wrong here are the people threatening him and his family. Its as wrong when the left does it as it is when the right does. 

It is disgusting to say you love LGBTQIA+ when you donate to people who actively harm them. In a democracy, I get to dislike you, shame you, and tell you to fuck off. I don't have to be nice to you about actively making the existence of a group of people harder. It's easy for you to be a straight white dude who makes a new anonymous account when outed, but our LGBTQ friends can't do that.

This is just a really lame way to "both sides" it.

Guy was dumb in what he said and how he said it, but I have no problem buying the works of a creator who disagrees with my politics.

It’d take a pretty strong case for me not to.  (ie: KKK involvement, death threats to those who disagree with them, etc)

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Indeed, someone like Caitlyn Jenner actively harms the people she professes to support. Considering how few there are who are Republicans, it's pretty irrelevant when the community is being actively harmed by extremist right-wing judges rushed into office by Republicans.

It is disgusting to say you love LGBTQIA+ when you donate to people who actively harm them. In a democracy, I get to dislike you, shame you, and tell you to fuck off. I don't have to be nice to you about actively making the existence of a group of people harder. It's easy for you to be a straight white dude who makes a new anonymous account when outed, but our LGBTQ friends can't do that.

This is just a really lame way to "both sides" it.

Oh look, ignoring the actual problem and throwing ridiculous insults to avoid whats actually going on. Yes it is both sides, again, nobody is saying criticism isn't ok, but death threats and harassment definitely aren't. So yes, both sides. If you're gay and making death threats to a man and his family, you are no better than a right wing nutbag making death threats to a man and his family, period. 

This wasn't about criticism, it was never about criticism. Its about activist "Journalists"  naming, shaming and leading a harassment campaign against a developer who did nothing wrong, period. No part of games journalism has anything to do with other people's political donations. 

41 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Guy was dumb in what he said and how he said it, but I have no problem buying the works of a creator who disagrees with my politics.

It’d take a pretty strong case for me not to.  (ie: KKK involvement, death threats to those who disagree with them, etc)

He said nothing except that he voted for, and donated to Republicans, and would not apologize for it. Thats it, nothing else. 

While I don't agree with him, I certainly am against what was done to him. Just like im against the right attacking Berry for her protests against the anthem and flag. 

Harassment and death threats are wrong, regardless of political affiliation.

Just now, BloodyHell said:

Oh look, ignoring the actual problem and throwing ridiculous insults to avoid whats actually going on. Yes it is both sides, again, nobody is saying criticism isn't ok, but death threats and harassment definitely aren't. So yes, both sides. If you're gay and making death threats to a man and his family, you are no better than a right wing nutbag making death threats to a man and his family, period. 

This wasn't about criticism, it was never about criticism. Its about activist "Journalists"  naming, shaming and leading a harassment campaign against a developer who did nothing wrong, period. No part of games journalism has anything to do with other people's political donations. 

This is why nobody likes "both sides" people: when LGBTQ people say they're attacked on a daily basis as leaders put anti-LGBTQ judges in power for life, you say, "but what about the sliver of gay Republicans?" But when a few people send death threats, the entire movement is at fault? Yeah, fuck that shit.

His donations helped prop people in power that actively put down the LGBTQ community he professes to love. He's alive, while the people he says he loves aren't all still with us. People like to say in passing how much they "don't mind" them or "love" them or they have that one gay friend, but if you care about them, it makes no sense to actively dismiss hardcore anti-LGBTQ judges as just a difference in politics.

Apoc, you're lucky that you can make a different name to pretend to be someone else just because Rachel found out you weren't a weightlifter at all and were just some dude on a dating site. That's the most of your problems. Others commit suicide because they're LGBTQ and have no support. Be better.

• Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

He said nothing except that he voted for, and donated to Republicans, and would not apologize for it. Thats it, nothing else. 

While I don't agree with him, I certainly am against what was done to him. Just like im against the right attacking Berry for her protests against the anthem and flag. 

Harassment and death threats are wrong, regardless of political affiliation.

Of course not; you're a straight guy with nothing at stake. It's easy for you to call anti-LGBTQ a difference of opinion, just a difference in politics, just political affiliation. When a political party in the highest levels of government have put you down, cramming anti-LGBTQ judges for life, decries "homos in the military," bans your ability to marry, and spawns a bunch of political contributors who call you a freak show, a thing, massacring yourself, it goes a wee bit past political opinions.

It means your "love" for LGBTQ is lip service. If you truly, truly love them, you truly care what happens to them. When you're an American citizen, you have a choice as to where to send your money. You get to send it, I get to sing "Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Hey Goodbye" when you retire.

Just now, SaysWho? said:

This is why nobody likes "both sides" people: when LGBTQ people say they're attacked on a daily basis as leaders put anti-LGBTQ judges in power for life, you say, "but what about the sliver of gay Republicans?" But when a few people send death threats, the entire movement is at fault? Yeah, fuck that shit.

His donations helped prop people in power that actively put down the LGBTQ community he professes to love. He's alive, while the people he says he loves aren't all still with us. People like to say in passing how much they "don't mind" them or "love" them or they have that one gay friend, but if you care about them, it makes no sense to actively dismiss hardcore anti-LGBTQ judges as just a difference in politics.

Apoc, you're lucky that you can make a different name to pretend to be someone else just because Rachel found out you weren't a weightlifter at all and were just some dude on a dating site. That's the most of your problems. Others commit suicide because they're LGBTQ and have no support. Be better.

Again, you're literally making excuses for death threats. 

Of  course gay people still have challenges, and as I said, criticism and not buying his games, those are fine. 

Pretending death threats towards anyone is ok is absolutely disgusting. 

Both sides is a hell of a lot better than "Its ok when my side does it". 

And lets be clear, there are far more shitbags on the right, thats not an argument. But a shitbag is a shitbag regardless of political affiliation. Threatening violence is a crime, regardless of who does it. 

Just now, BloodyHell said:

Again, you're literally making excuses for death threats. 

Of  course gay people still have challenges, and as I said, criticism and not buying his games, those are fine. 

Pretending death threats towards anyone is ok is absolutely disgusting. 

Both sides is a hell of a lot better than "Its ok when my side does it". 

And lets be clear, there are far more shitbags on the right, thats not an argument. But a shitbag is a shitbag regardless of political affiliation. Threatening violence is a crime, regardless of who does it. 

Who said death threats were OK? Most of the outrage has been that he donated to anti-LGBTQ organizations in the guise of being a "devout Christian" (which, let's be real, these are right-wing Christians, and they continue to donate to the most amoral people in America). You keep focusing on what a few people supposedly did, and yet when I tell you LGBTQ are tired of hearing about how people who donate to these fools "care" about them, you say, "But the gay Republicans!"

Why do you focus on a sliver of gay Americans who are Republicans, when the vast majority are not (and for very obvious reasons!), but focus on the sliver of supposed death threats he received when most people just hate that he donates to people who actively put them down?

This isn't a difficult concept. You have no stake in it, so it's easy for this to be a difference of opinion. For others, it's a daily struggle.

Regardless of what happened to him he took the coward's way out.

If all you did is say, "I donated to republicans," when the outrage comes it's time to take action to right your wrong. You can learn from your mistakes and turn it around. Or you could duck out and do nothing which means you actually side with anti LGBTQIA stuff.