Sonic Central Livestream - Sonic Colors Ultimate, New Sonic in 2022

crispy4000

• crispy4000 changed the title to Sonic Central Livestream - Sonic Colors Ultimate
  • crispy4000 changed the title to Sonic Central Livestream - Sonic Colors Ultimate, New Sonic in 2022

I don't understand - why a remaster of Sonic Colors? Sonic Generations was equally as good and equally deserves a remaster. But really they should get the Sonic Mania guys to make more Sonic, I don't understand, because outside of Colors and Generations (and Mania), all Sonic games have been pretty terrible for the last 20 years, since the release of Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes in 2002/2003. Or for die hard fans Sonic games haven't been good since Sonic CD and Sonic & Knuckles in 1993/1994 (though to be fair the handheld Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush series' of games were pretty good). 

So why not give us more Sonic Mania? Why focus on Sonic Colors (or Generations)?

44 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I don't understand - why a remaster of Sonic Colors? Sonic Generations was equally as good and equally deserves a remaster. But really they should get the Sonic Mania guys to make more Sonic, I don't understand, because outside of Colors and Generations (and Mania), all Sonic games have been pretty terrible for the last 20 years, since the release of Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes in 2002/2003. Or for die hard fans Sonic games haven't been good since Sonic CD and Sonic & Knuckles in 1993/1994 (though to be fair the handheld Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush series' of games were pretty good). 

So why not give us more Sonic Mania? Why focus on Sonic Colors (or Generations)?

I mean this port has nothing to do with them doing Sonic Mania 2, they really just need to cut a check for that. Can’t believe they won’t though yeah. 

This makes sense over generations though, that is available on a lot of platforms already and can already be played at 4k on pc. Colors is stuck on Wii (and emulation, but that’s niche) in 480p and apparently quite good.

I think by the time it came out a lot of people checked out of wii too, it has more potential to release to players who haven’t already played it.

Anyway, wish new Sonic was this year but if it’s any good at all take all the fucking time they need, but I have always wanted to play this but never bothered emulating it so I’m in!

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

I mean this port has nothing to do with them doing Sonic Mania 2, they really just need to cut a check for that. Can’t believe they won’t though yeah. 

This makes sense over generations though, that is available on a lot of platforms already and can already be played at 4k on pc. Colors is stuck on Wii (and emulation, but that’s niche) in 480p and apparently quite good.

I think by the time it came out a lot of people checked out of wii too, it has more potential to release to players who haven’t already played it.

Anyway, wish new Sonic was this year but if it’s any good at all take all the fucking time they need, but I have always wanted to play this but never bothered emulating it so I’m in!

Yeah, they should cut a check to Christian Whitehead and get a Sonic Mania 2 going. It's a no brainer. You are right about Sonic Generations though - it released on PC so that future proof's it a bit (it otherwise released on PS3, Xbox 360, and 3DS and out of those only 3DS is emulator friendly) so good thing we have the PC version. In that context it does make more sense to do Sonic Colors, which is a pretty good Sonic game (equal to Sonic Generations, but a step or two below Sonic Mania). 

I never beat Generations or Colors, but Colors kept my interest longer.

Maybe this summer I'll give Generations another go.  I tried to return to it once before, but was surprised how bad it felt when I hadn't touched it in a while.  So I'll start it over.

47 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I never beat Generations or Colors, but Colors kept my interest longer.

Maybe this summer I'll give Generations another go.  I tried to return to it once before, but was surprised how bad it felt when I hadn't touched it in a while.  So I'll start it over.

On Metacritic Colors and Generations are about even in terms of critic and audience scores. Colors is probably a little better, but I find the 2D sections of Generations better than anything in Colors, which makes me feel Generations is a bit better on balance. Both are good enough as Sonic games, though neither holds a candle to Sonic Mania.

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, they should cut a check to Christian Whitehead and get a Sonic Mania 2 going. It's a no brainer. You are right about Sonic Generations though - it released on PC so that future proof's it a bit (it otherwise released on PS3, Xbox 360, and 3DS and out of those only 3DS is emulator friendly) so good thing we have the PC version. In that context it does make more sense to do Sonic Colors, which is a pretty good Sonic game (equal to Sonic Generations, but a step or two below Sonic Mania). 

Shit if it’s equal to generations that is enough to get me pumped!

@Greatoneshere @stepee

There is also the fact that Sonic Colors is the more popular game - it outsold Generations despite Colors releasing only on one platform. (Well, technically two - Wii and DS. But they are separate SKUs)

So it is likely SEGA is looking to capitalize on one of their older, more popular entries in the series that, as mentioned before, isn’t as widely available. At least in terms of what machines can play it.