Starfield - Information Thread, update: May Update (detailed surface maps, difficulty options, display settings) to release on May 15

SaysWho?

Doing more side content now because I’m only three missions from the end now but I’m not ready yet. Sooo much to do in this game still. I’m doing the undercover UC/Crimson stuff now and it’s great. Also really enjoying Barrett’s side stuff, he’s my fav.

• Halal 1

28 minutes ago, stepee said:

Doing more side content now because I’m only three missions from the end now but I’m not ready yet. Sooo much to do in this game still. I’m doing the undercover UC/Crimson stuff now and it’s great. Also really enjoying Barrett’s side stuff, he’s my fav.

Barrett is the coolest character imo

• True 2

60 hours in and still loving it! Really hope there are expansions/dlc, maybe keep building on it like NMS. I’d love to see them NOT ADD ANY MORE PLANETS but instead build out the existing ones with more towns and otherwise lived in locations. 

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

You could almost build Fallout in the same world as Starfield with the set up they have for what happened to Earth, but they kinda made it too uninhabitable but that would probably be easy enough to retcon. An earth FO dlc exploring the ruins of a city that wasn’t as destroyed and people who managed to survive would be kinda kewl.

It’s a similar thing -

Dishonored 2 also did this.

I actually thought it was very well done though and definitely more interesting than the use actually in the games I mentioned. But mostly I was more calling out how it’s become a sort of trope at this point than giving any particular technical credit.

Going to finish this up tomorrow, got all the powers it looks like it’s going to give me this run (says three temples missing but I’m not getting any more from Vlad and the chart is full. About 75 hours so a pretty complete play through. Glad I waited until I was ready to take my time, definitely on my top 10 of 2023 now.

• Hype 2

And 75 hours later the credits roll! I’m biased towards space as a theme but that was my favorite Bethesda game so far though I’ve only really played the fallouts and like 10 hours of Skyrim. I really enjoyed it and would maybe even put it in my top 5 of 2023 now. 

There’s definitely some stuff it doesn’t do well. I’d have preferred much less than 1000 plants that are relatively empty and cookie cutter and instead more developed plants with more lived in locations. I hope through expansions and updates this is something that can be built out.

The character models are also still a generation or two behind despite the rest of the game actually being quite beautiful. It requires a mod for proper hdr. 

There seems to be a lot of characters you can’t just kill and then deal with the consequences. This is more something I usually save beforehand, and see what happens, then load back before I did it - but I recall that being more of an option before.

It is overall a less organic design and more objective based than exploration based than I recall the FO games being. I think in this way it reminded me of a mix of Fallout and Mass Effect more so than just the space setting. I think how okay you are with this design probably would affect how disappointed someone is or isn’t with the game. It felt more like an expansion of Mass Effect 1’s space exploration than taking Fallout level exploration to the entire galaxy.

For me, that worked. I was able to still get lost in the world and feel the sense of exploration alongside my character even if a lot of it was window dressing. As I always had new plot threads to uncover and missions to tackle, I wasn’t busy stopping to pick apart how much I was or wasn’t truly “exploring”. It kept the pacing quick and to the point and thus I stayed engaged throughout the entire lengthy journey, which I can’t say the same for a lot of games this long.

The gunplay and moment to moment gameplay, third person view properly working, made actually playing the game a lot more fun than their usual fare. I’m surprised how good the combat feels in this game. They really nailed a good balance while still retaining some rpg elements beyond pure skill based.

The main story was well done and definitely more interesting to me than any of the FO main quest lines. The faction missions and side quests I felt were up to the same level of that series narratively as well. 

Overall the positives for me outweighed the parts where it fell short of some lofty expectations to the point that I didn’t really care so much about what it wasn’t and was able to thoroughly enjoy what it was. Also the music is excellent.

8.9/10

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, stepee said:

And 75 hours later the credits roll! I’m biased towards space as a theme but that was my favorite Bethesda game so far though I’ve only really played the fallouts and like 10 hours of Skyrim. I really enjoyed it and would maybe even put it in my top 5 of 2023 now. 

There’s definitely some stuff it doesn’t do well. I’d have preferred much less than 1000 plants that are relatively empty and cookie cutter and instead more developed plants with more lived in locations. I hope through expansions and updates this is something that can be built out.

The character models are also still a generation or two behind despite the rest of the game actually being quite beautiful. It requires a mod for proper hdr. 

There seems to be a lot of characters you can’t just kill and then deal with the consequences. This is more something I usually save beforehand, and see what happens, then load back before I did it - but I recall that being more of an option before.

It is overall a less organic design and more objective based than exploration based than I recall the FO games being. I think in this way it reminded me of a mix of Fallout and Mass Effect more so than just the space setting. I think how okay you are with this design probably would affect how disappointed someone is or isn’t with the game. It felt more like an expansion of Mass Effect 1’s space exploration than taking Fallout level exploration to the entire galaxy.

For me, that worked. I was able to still get lost in the world and feel the sense of exploration alongside my character even if a lot of it was window dressing. As I always had new plot threads to uncover and missions to tackle, I wasn’t busy stopping to pick apart how much I was or wasn’t truly “exploring”. It kept the pacing quick and to the point and thus I stayed engaged throughout the entire lengthy journey, which I can’t say the same for a lot of games this long.

The gunplay and moment to moment gameplay, third person view properly working, made actually playing the game a lot more fun than their usual fare. I’m surprised how good the combat feels in this game. They really nailed a good balance while still retaining some rpg elements beyond pure skill based.

The main story was well done and definitely more interesting to me than any of the FO main quest lines. The faction missions and side quests I felt were up to the same level of that series narratively as well. 

Overall the positives for me outweighed the parts where it fell short of some lofty expectations to the point that I didn’t really care so much about what it wasn’t and was able to thoroughly enjoy what it was. Also the music is excellent.

8.9/10

Great mini review. I really want to get back to this. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stepee said:

Just harvest the plants and they will develop

Welp, I caved and got gamepass back for this. My saves couldn't sink up so unfortunately I think I have to start from the beginning Biggie style. 

I'm on Bethesda's balls right now with me playing Skyrim on my Deck and now I'm fully immersing myself in Starfield and will absolutely beat it.

I just beat Star Wars Jedi Survivor so I'm free to play this. 

• Hype 1

8 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Welp, I caved and got gamepass back for this. My saves couldn't sink up so unfortunately I think I have to start from the beginning Biggie style. 

I'm on Bethesda's balls right now with me playing Skyrim on my Deck and now I'm fully immersing myself in Starfield and will absolutely beat it.

your saves didn’t sync just because your game pass lapsed? 

Just now, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Something about that doesn’t seem right though. Could be another bug. 

I'll boot it up with turning my console off. See if that does anything. I was more than halfway through the campaign, too. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I'll boot it up with turning my console off. See if that does anything. I was more than halfway through the campaign, too. 

This kinda happened to you with another game recently too where you couldn’t launch RDR2 even though you owned it. I think something is wrong with the Xbox’s connection cutting out or something is corrupt. If you haven’t already I’d suggest powering off and unplugging the system and then plugging it back in and turning it on for a full power cycle.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Joe Biden Reaction GIF by The Democrats

19 minutes ago, stepee said:

This kinda happened to you with another game recently too where you couldn’t launch RDR2 even though you owned it. I think something is wrong with the Xbox’s connection cutting out or something is corrupt. If you haven’t already I’d suggest powering off and unplugging the system and then plugging it back in and turning it on for a full power cycle.

I will try this. My connection has been solid for a while now. I even download games pretty damn fast. I dl Remnant 2 today and it went very fast. Whenever I download anything on Deck it's fast, too. 

I had to start over. I completely shutdown my XSX and unplugged it too. Still no saves so I played for 3 hours straight and I'm in love with it yet again. 

Going from Skyrim to this you really see a big leap in almost everything. The visuals are really nice and I enjoy the combat a lot. I will beat it this playthrough and I only signed up for 1 month of gamepass so the clock is tickin. 

18 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Stepee is right though, you should probably find the cause of what's making your saves disappear otherwise you're going to have to start over every game you play. :p

It's very odd. I have no issues with my PS5.