Remember DIVX?

Fizzzzle

Something made it pop in my head. Honestly, if you think about it, DIVX was pretty far ahead of its time. Pop a disc into your DVD player and it's only watchable for 48 hours unless you call a number to extend the time and pay like $5.

That's pretty much how we rent movies now, only it's all streaming. People fucking hated DIVX at the time, but really they were just about 10 years too early to the party.

47 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Something made it pop in my head. Honestly, if you think about it, DIVX was pretty far ahead of its time. Pop a disc into your DVD player and it's only watchable for 48 hours unless you call a number to extend the time and pay like $5.

That's pretty much how we rent movies now, only it's all streaming. People fucking hated DIVX at the time, but really they were just about 10 years too early to the party.

I mean, that’s also kinda how we rented movies since the 80s too.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I mean, that’s also kinda how we rented movies since the 80s too.

Sure, but it was the first attempt I'm aware of to digitize it with DRM rather than rely on rental stores.

I like stuff like this. They did things essentially the way we do it now, they just did it way too early before technology was capable of making it convenient so everyone hated it.

It's like how no one remembers that Intel made one of the first mp3 players. It could only hold like 40 songs, the compression was ass, and loading it with music actually required like knowledge of how to use windows files, which amazingly is a hurdle for some people. Especially 20 years ago.

2 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Sure, but it was the first attempt I'm aware of to digitize it with DRM rather than rely on rental stores.

I like stuff like this. They did things essentially the way we do it now, they just did it way too early before technology was capable of making it convenient so everyone hated it.

It's like how no one remembers that Intel made one of the first mp3 players. It could only hold like 40 songs, the compression was ass, and loading it with music actually required like knowledge of how to use windows files, which amazingly is a hurdle for some people. Especially 20 years ago.

mini disc 4 life

37 minutes ago, stepee said:

mini disc 4 life

I'm going to go to my grave still salty about how Sony Music forced Sony Electronics to cripple MiniDisc because they were neurotic about piracy. MiniDisc was always a doomed format, if nothing else the iPod would have eventually killed it, but it should have been a lot stronger back in the days when MP3 players were basically 512 MB thumb drives with headphone jacks.

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah, then they started trying a bunch of different stuff. It didn't work out. RIP DIVX and RealPlayer 🌹

RealPlayer was terrible, the volume control was just a direct hook to your system volume.