The Sega Astro Mini is coming to the States in a limited run...

Ghost_MH

LIMITEDRUNGAMES.COM

This item has not gone on sale yet. It will be available on Friday, March 26th at 10AM Eastern Time. The Astro City Mini is a functional miniature version of the full-sized arcade cabinet that goes by the same name, and it includes 37 playable games. The Mini features a built-in LCD screen, but if you’re interested in

There are only 3500 of them and they go on sale starting the 26th. I fully expect to not be able to buy one when they wind up in scalpers' hands come 10:01AM ET on Friday.

• Ghost_MH changed the title to The Sega Astro Mini is coming to the States in a limited run...

Buy from Amazon JP instead. It's the same thing just in JP packaging and much cheaper. I ended up buying one on monday during a flash sale for $143 Cad / $114 USD after shipping and import fees (amazon charges them in advance).

Currently they have them listed for about 400Y more than when I bought it during the sale.

WWW.AMAZON.CO.JP

アストロシティミニがゲームストアでいつでもお買い得。当日お急ぎ便対象商品は、当日お届け可能です。オンラインコード版、ダウンロード版はご購入後すぐにご利用可能です。

42 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Is it the Genesis version of Virtua Fighter?

All games are the arcade roms. There are no console ports on this. 

With that said, VF1 suffers from a slow down issue when played on a TV because the emulator runs the game at 720p on a tv. The slowdown issue is not there when played on the device as the screen is at a lower resolution (as for what that is I don't know). The slowdown issue only affects replays and not during the fights.

23m mark

2 hours ago, chakoo said:

Buy from Amazon JP instead. It's the same thing just in JP packaging and much cheaper. I ended up buying one on monday during a flash sale for $143 Cad / $114 USD after shipping and import fees (amazon charges them in advance).

Currently they have them listed for about 400Y more than when I bought it during the sale.

WWW.AMAZON.CO.JP

アストロシティミニがゲームストアでいつでもお買い得。当日お急ぎ便対象商品は、当日お届け可能です。オンラインコード版、ダウンロード版はご購入後すぐにご利用可能です。

If it's just a packaging difference then I'll just do that. Amusingly, the last thing I bought on Amazon Japan was another Sega toy. In that case, though, it was one of their Homestar planetarium projectors for my kids. Still cheaper to buying it from here in the US.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

If it's just a packaging difference then I'll just do that. Amusingly, the last thing I bought on Amazon Japan was another Sega toy. In that case, though, it was one of their Homestar planetarium projectors for my kids. Still cheaper to buying it from here in the US.

According to LRG themselves it's just the outer packaging that is different. The system already has english menus in the japanese version. I'm not sure what you mean by "Still cheaper to buying it from here in the US." is that in reference to the homestar projector?

FYI the prices I posted in my post is my total cost including tax and shipping to Canada. That is much cheaper than what LRG will be listing the system for (before shipping).

8 minutes ago, chakoo said:

According to LRG themselves it's just the outer packaging that is different. The system already has english menus in the japanese version. I'm not sure what you mean by "Still cheaper to buying it from here in the US." is that in reference to the homestar projector?

FYI the prices I posted in my post is my total cost including tax and shipping to Canada. That is much cheaper than what LRG will be listing the system for (before shipping).

Sorry, yeah, the Homestar projector was also cheaper on Amazon Japan than in the US. Looks like it'll be the same for the Astro Mini. Good to know all the menus are in English. This week look nice next to my Mini Neo Geo.

I'd say I'm tempted, especially being a kid who was obsessed with VF to the point I got the preparation kit Sega was selling in anticipation of the 32X release, but the lineup on this mini arcade is just not the Sega I have memories of in the arcade.  

16 hours ago, vaxick said:

I'd say I'm tempted, especially being a kid who was obsessed with VF to the point I got the preparation kit Sega was selling in anticipation of the 32X release, but the lineup on this mini arcade is just not the Sega I have memories of in the arcade.  

I'm a bit curious what you mean by this. Is sega arcades to you more their 3d era (Model 1/2/3 & Naomi) than their System16/Super Scaler era?

For me I think both eras are. I remember a lot of their 3d games specially their racers but I also remember being in arcades & 7/11 playing Alter Beast, Golden Axe, Shinobi & Out Run. It is a shame this unit does not have a few more titles from the model 1/2 era but I'm guessing the cheap SOC they went with was barely able to handle even just VF1 to try putting others on it. 

On 3/26/2021 at 10:40 AM, chakoo said:

I'm a bit curious what you mean by this. Is sega arcades to you more their 3d era (Model 1/2/3 & Naomi) than their System16/Super Scaler era?

For me I think both eras are. I remember a lot of their 3d games specially their racers but I also remember being in arcades & 7/11 playing Alter Beast, Golden Axe, Shinobi & Out Run. It is a shame this unit does not have a few more titles from the model 1/2 era but I'm guessing the cheap SOC they went with was barely able to handle even just VF1 to try putting others on it. 

Basically the Yu Suzuki collection of games are my most memorable of the Sega arcade titles in the arcades along with other games such as Galaxy Force, Jurassic Park, Rail Chase, Virtua Racing, etc.  I never really got too much into their older titles in the arcade outside of Zaxxon and Turbo.  I remember the title screen of Shinobi fondly as a kid, at the roller skating rink, but I would gravitate towards Moon Patrol.  

• 8 months later...

lol rate mode :P

Yep sega announced a new mini that will come out at the end of the year that is filled with just vertical/tate games which are mostly all shooters. There are some amazing exclusives on this device not found in other collections (outside of just running in mame) but you have to be a big fan of vert shooters.

https://sega.jp/astrocitymini/v/

There was also a Mikado ✗ Astro City Mini announced today but doesn't look like there is anything special over the original astro city mini other than it's gold with red buttons.

I kind of want one but I'm more excited for the up and coming Taito Egret II mini coming out in march 2022.