Three Body Problem

35 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s tiny compared to, like, CBS, though. :p 

Many of those shows were quite bad to mediocre and not exactly high budget. ie: Dark Crystal wasn’t good, IMO, and its budget was about a third of some of Netflix's most expensive shows. Plus, as you noted, many of those had multiple years of seasons, and in regards to Glow (which I loved), it was filming the final season but then the pandemic hit, which is why it was canned without getting the finale (this happened to a lot of shows during the pandemic unfortunately).

I mean, sure, there’s a bunch of good ones on that list, but I can name great shows that were cancelled on every network: that’s my point, this “Netflix cancels everything!” talking point is, well, just a talking point. They aren’t any worse than this than almost any other network.

I think the point is they cancel these cult following shows after just one or two seasons (I wouldn't call that "having multiple years of seasons"), as opposed to more seasons at other networks who do ultimately cancel these kinds of shows too, but let them live a little longer I think is the perception.

It's actually a pretty big list, I just pulled the big name shows from the IMDb list, there are many more. Perhaps CBS and other platforms cancel these many cult shows after just one or two seasons too, but I've never gotten that sense before, not like with Netflix. It's what is being cut or cancelled, not how much.

51 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think the point is they cancel these cult following shows after just one or two seasons (I wouldn't call that "having multiple years of seasons"), as opposed to more seasons at other networks who do ultimately cancel these kinds of shows too, but let them live a little longer I think is the perception.

Many on the list in your first link had 2-3 seasons, so I definitely would call that multiple years of seasons. The rest of your post is incredibly anecdotal and subjective. :p 

51 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's actually a pretty big list, I just pulled the big name shows from the IMDb list, there are many more. Perhaps CBS and other platforms cancel these many cult shows after just one or two seasons too, but I've never gotten that sense before, not like with Netflix. It's what is being cut or cancelled, not how much.

That list you gave are shows from over the course of 10+ years. Every network cancels a ton of shows every year, the avg for broadcast TV is apparently over 25% for the past year, and it seems that the normal avg is over a third.

Other networks don’t cancel cult favorites? My guy, (off the top of my head) look at Firefly, Sarah Connor Chronicles, Don't Trust the Bitch In Apartment 23, Dollhouse, Lucifer (saved by Netflix btw), etc, etc, etc. I mean, how many times did Fox cancel Family Guy and Futurama? :p 

All under performing shows get canned, Netflix actually seems to be better about not canceling than most others TV networks going by the percentages on that chart, and that’s my entire point. I’m not saying that they don’t cancel shows that should’ve had a better chance or more seasons, I’m saying that they don’t seem to actually be worse than anyone else with it.

6 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

That list you gave are shows from over the course of 10+ years. Every network cancels a ton of shows every year, the avg for broadcast TV is apparently over 25% for the past year, and it seems that the normal avg is over a third.

Other networks don’t cancel cult favorites? My guy, (off the top of my head) look at Firefly, Sarah Connor Chronicles, Don't Trust the Bitch In Apartment 23, Dollhouse, Lucifer (saved by Netflix btw), etc, etc, etc. I mean, how many times did Fox cancel Family Guy and Futurama? :p 

All under performing shows get canned, Netflix actually seems to be better about not canceling than most others TV networks going by the percentages on that chart, and that’s my entire point. I’m not saying that they don’t cancel shows that should’ve had a better chance or more seasons, I’m saying that they don’t seem to actually be worse than anyone else with it.

Like I said, I agree with you, I'm just explaining that the perception is there and why it's there, I'm not debating the veracity of the perception. And to be fair, Fox was kind of the Netflix of its time in terms of cancelling beloved early cult shows.

• Halal 1

24 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

They cancelled all these shows I enjoyed, so nope, I'm not investing anymore of my time watching shows on Netflix when they'll most likely cancel them.

Altered Carbon

Iron Fist

Punisher

Luke Cage

Daredevil

Defenders

Santa Clarita Diet

Disjointed

GLOW

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

My list has a couple more and it's mostly the stuff I'm actually interested in so now I only have Netflix when a new season if Stranger Things is out. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I appreciate this conversation because it got @Greatoneshere to finally admit Resident Evil was a good show.

I said "mostly good" shows specifically because Resident Evil (and a few others) were on the list. The point was big budget shows, not necessarily good ones so there was no admitting of it being good.

WWW.CNN.COM

Lin Qi, a billionaire fan of “The Three-Body Problem”, had big plans to bring his favorite Chinese sci-fi novel to TV, cinema and video-game screens. But he never lived to see it.

On a winter evening in 2020, Lin was driving home from Yoozoo Games headquarters in Shanghai when he suddenly felt unwell. He checked himself in to the hospital and initially recovered to a stable condition, but died 10 days later on Christmas Day, according to his company.

At least five toxins were detected in Lin’s body, including mercury and tetrodotoxin – an extremely potent poison found in pufferfish, Chinese financial magazine Caixin reported, citing people close to the video game tycoon.

Xu was identified as a key suspect and swiftly detained, according to a police statement at the time.

In its ruling last month, the Shanghai court said Xu had a dispute with Lin over “company management matters” and plotted to poison his boss through edible items over two days. Xu also poisoned beverages in the offices of two executives he had disputes with, causing four colleagues to fall sick, the court said. (The four survived.)

In the months following Lin’s death, Chinese media outlets pieced together a more detailed – and chilling – account of the murder, which involved meticulous planning that lasted months.