Bomb Rush Cyberfunk - Coming August 18, 2023

Keyser_Soze

Team Reptile brings you Bomb Rush Cyberfunk, 1 second per second of highly advanced funkstyle. In a world from the mind of Dion Koster, where self-styled crews are equipped with personal boostpacks, new heights of graffiti are reached. Start your own cypher and dance, paint, trick, face off with the cops and stake your claim to the extrusions and cavities of a sprawling metropolis in an alternate future set to the musical brainwaves of Hideki Naganuma.

Did someone want the unofficial sequel to JSRF?

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Seriously this looks really damn good. I see a little tony hawk in there too, like you will want to be chaining moves so you won’t be on the ground just running since you don’t skate.

Im just not going to get too excited until I can feel how it controls, game looks too good to be true in a way.

• 4 months later...
  • Keyser_Soze changed the title to Bomb Rush Cyberfunk - Delayed to 2023
  • Keyser_Soze changed the title to Bomb Rush Cyberfunk - Coming August 18, 2023
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I played for like an hour some quick impressions.

The music is pretty solid. Since it is composed by Hideki Naganuma it of course is very similar to JSR. So far I haven't found a song that reaches the highs of those games but also no song has reached the lows (Mischievous Boy)

Maybe I forgot how JSR played but this feels like a mix between THPS and JSR. It gives you big open environments, there are some objectives out there, like these high five statue things, and you can combo and manual - Though so far I haven't seen the benefit of getting a high combo yet. :p

Tagging is a bit involved since you use the right stick to do it, but I kinda like that, gives it a bit more substance.

Graphics are good, obviously you know the style they're going for and I think they pretty much nailed it. It's got a very crisp image and the tags are nice and sharp as well.

spacer.png

Game looks and runs amazing (110-120fps in the open city) on the ROG Ally maxed out at 1080p, awesome handheld experience. 

First impressions are largely positive. It controls a lot better than JSR/F ever did and takes some cues from THPS, but it doesn’t feel out of place, just like something the series would have done eventually anyway (copied from the more successful series) if it kept going. Since you can’t fall it still feels a lot more like JSR than THPS.

Tagging seems like a good in-between the overly finicky mechanic in JSR and the overly simplistic mechanic in JSRF.

Quite the shock at the end of the prologue lol. Didn’t see that coming.

Looks great graphically but I do wish Sega had gotten involved at some point and this could have used the real characters and names.

The combat seems a bit pointless but it does at least oddly feel like a Sega game from the era it’s evoking for whatever that is worth.

Im overly annoyed that pretty early on my blades vanished and I’m stuck with a skateboard for now. I guess until I proceed in the story? All these years waiting to blade around again and taking them away right away (as soon as you can really play around) seems like a weird choice. 

31 minutes ago, stepee said:

Im overly annoyed that pretty early on my blades vanished and I’m stuck with a skateboard for now. I guess until I proceed in the story? All these years waiting to blade around again and taking them away right away (as soon as you can really play around) seems like a weird choice. 

The story goes places and I feel like it's going to open up after that and you'll get your skates back. Free walking is also kind of like skating too. :p

11 hours ago, stepee said:

It's literally the exact same thing, it's just a skin and an animation. CALM DOWN MAN.

Also this game was briefly outselling Starfield earlier today. Was #2 in the global top sellers, behind BG3.

• Sad 1
  • Hype 1

as so someone who absolutely loved JSRF (heck I bought multiple copies to give away because I wanted more people to experience it and listened to the soundtrack almost nonstop for a while) I couldn't resist and picked it up. Only had time to play a little bit. So far I think it's decent but doesn't match JSRF. It did make me realize just how damn much I miss Smilebit games. Jet Set, Panzer Dragoon, Gunvalkyrie. They were such an awesome team. 

• Like 1

Agreed that it's not as good as JSRF.  But I do think this is as close as we're gonna get, and you can tell that this was an obvious passion project for the development team.  It's very much the opposite of the typically safe and cynical development that grips much the industry, and I think it deserves a ton of credit for it's authenticity and blatant disregard for industry norms and video game culture, as it wasn't heavily marketed or even sent to major outlets for review.  It feels true to the counter culture spirit of its inspiration.

This is less an issue with the game and more a personal preference, but what's missing for me are the essential Japanese qualities of the Jet Set Radio games.  JSR and JSRF could only have come from SEGA at that particular moment in time, from those specific development personalities.  This is an obvious copy of those games, but in lifting nearly everything from them, they still can't replicate a huge part of what made them so special.

I also don't think the story is anything to write home about, and it's more of a hindrance to this game than it was to Jet Set Radio. 

Still, it's a near miracle that we got this game from such a talented team that clearly understands the special alchemy of SEGA's brilliant originals.