Microsoft announces "DirectX XII Ultimate" to unify PC and Xbox Series X APIs

Commissar SFLUFAN

Update your driver and it's available now!

GeForce RTX graphics cards launched with numerous ‘world’s first’ graphics technologies: hardware-accelerated ray tracing, Variable-Rate Shading, Mesh Shading, and more. These technologies represented the biggest leap in graphics since the invention of programmable shaders in 2002, bringing cinema-quality reflections, shadows, and lighting to games.

Microsoft has recently released the DirectX 12 Ultimate graphics API alongside the Windows 10 May 2020 update, codifying GeForce RTX’s innovative technologies as the standard for multi-platform, next-gen games.

With the release of today’s new GeForce Game Ready driver, DirectX 12 Ultimate and its features are fully supported on GeForce RTX GPUs on Windows 10 operating systems using version 2004 or newer. To download and install this new driver, simply fire up GeForce Experience and click the "Drivers" tab.

Furthermore, in addition to introducing support for DirectX 12 Ultimate, the Windows 10 May 2020 Update also added a new feature called Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling. This new feature can potentially improve performance and reduce latency by allowing the video card to directly manage its own memory.

To enable hardware scheduling, you can open “Graphics Settings: Change Default Graphics Settings”. Simply toggle the feature on and restart the system and you’ll reap the full benefits of the feature.

windows-10-hardware-scheduling-setting.p

Don't waste your time turning on that feature, at least not until it's fixed. Like most Windows 10 system-level "enhancements" it fucks things up. In my case, playing videos on a second screen and then playing a game on my main screen causes the video to play back extremely slowly. I've also heard cases of others having their games start stuttering after turning it on.

17 minutes ago, Ominous said:

The Windows 10 May 2020 Update is on its way. Once it’s ready for your device, you’ll see the update available on this page.

It won't let me download it yet even. 

When I was using my old computer (that had windows 10) it was saying that it was an old windows 10 that was discontinued and couldn't be upgraded anymore. So I had to do a fresh install to be able to get new updates.

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

When I was using my old computer (that had windows 10) it was saying that it was an old windows 10 that was discontinued and couldn't be upgraded anymore. So I had to do a fresh install to be able to get new updates.

This install is from when I got my 3900X ::shrug:: 

2 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

You can just download it directly from here.

See I did that, with my "old windows 10" version, it still wouldn't install.

I can't find the exact page anymore but this might be it, that shows the end of service versions of Windows 10 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Any boost you might see will be dependent on the hardware you have at your disposal though. According to various early reports it seems to help budget oriented hardware more than those on the bleeding edge. There's a chance that game performance can be negatively impacted too, as former PCG hardware guru, Jarred Walton, discovered over on Tom's Hardware when he tested Nvidia GPU Hardware Scheduling with AMD and Intel CPUs.

Laptops could potentially be the greatest beneficiaries of this new feature, as memory tends to be tight on these mobile wonders. If it means a 10% improvement in performance, which appears to be the case according to some sources, that may just be enough to push the frame rates over into playably smooth, or allow you to turn on a few more features.

Can we get a word on it from the potatoes?