Official Thread of the Canadian Conservative Party Leadership Race

His announcement comes after a report from La Presse that Rona Ambrose, another popular former cabinet minister who served as interim Tory leader from 2015 to 2017, will not enter the contest. Ambrose has not yet made her intentions known.

MacKay is the second declared candidate in the leadership race, which began in earnest Monday. Ontario MP Marilyn Gladu is also seeking the job.

Stephen Harper resigns from Conservative Fund board as leadership race heats up

The magazine, citing an unnamed source, said prospective leadership candidate Jean Charest sought Harper's endorsement in a December phone call but the former prime minister refused to give it.

Harper told Charest, a former leader of the now-defunct Progressive Conservative Party of Canada, that "the party is no longer the party [you] led," the magazine reported. The more moderate PC Party merged with the conservative Canadian Alliance in 2003.

Speaking to CBC's Power & Politics today, Wells said Harper's decision to leave the board was "accelerated" as it became increasingly clear Charest is readying a run for the leadership.

"It's pretty clear that Stephen Harper does not want Jean Charest to be the leader. As a long-time senior Conservative said to me, 'Harper is quitting the fund board so he can block Charest.' That wasn't my language, that was volunteered to me by one of my sources," Wells said.

"Harper cannot himself announce, 'I block thee, Jean Charest.' All he can do is speak his mind, say what he thinks and use his considerable clout within the party to rally opinion. Charest gets to decide if he wants to run against those headwinds."

Conservative Leadership election to open January 13

The financial requirement to become a Verified Candidate in the 2020 Conservative Leadership election will be a total non-refundable registration fee of $200,000. Additionally, Verified Candidates will be required to obtain 3,000 signatures of endorsement in total from party members.

The financial and member endorsement obligations will be structured as follows:

A person entering the race will submit a $25,000 instalment of the total registration fee, as well as a first instalment of 1,000 signatures of endorsement. These signatures must be from members residing in at least 30 different electoral districts across at least seven provinces and/or territories. Once accepted, this person becomes an Approved Applicant.

For an Approved Applicant to receive the list of Conservative Party members and the Leadership election voters list, they will submit a further $25,000 instalment of the registration fee, plus submit a full compliance deposit of $100,000, and a further instalment of 1,000 signatures of endorsement. At this point, they become an Authorized Contestant.

Approved Applicants and Authorized Contestants will have until March 25 at 5PM ET to submit the full remaining registration fee, and the full remaining signatures of endorsement to become a Verified Candidate. Only Verified Candidates will have their name on the Leadership ballot.

To vote in the 2020 Conservative Leadership election, Canadians must be a member of the Conservative Party by April 17, 2020. The winner of the Conservative Leadership election will be announced in Toronto on June 27.

93673f888e597a6.png

It's going to come down to Pierre Poilievre, the most weasel-like and smarmy Conservative MP, and Peter MacKay, the most two-faced and power-hungry Conservative non-MP.

I would prefer MacKay since Poilievre is just one of the worst people in Canadian politics. He's a true believer and a horrible person who enjoys cruelty for the sake of it. He represents the right-wing of the already right-wing party. MacKay at least is a bit more of a moderate, former leader of the old Progressive Conservative Party. His most memorable act was promising to not sell out the party to the Reform/Alliance, and then immediately doing so once he became leader.

MacKay has a shot of beating Trudeau, but Poilievre does not, as he is like Harper and Scheer crammed together into a little boy.

1 hour ago, SilentWorld said:

I hope Charest wins. cuz fuck Harper. 

23 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Crazy, Unless someone crazy comes out of left field this is looking like Peter MacKay to loose. 

Hmm, perhaps he is back in!

...or not?

This whole thing is weird. But I'd love to see it come down to two PCs, and have the reform wing shut out.

MacKay is a total buffoon (and perhaps a bigger airhead than Trudeau), but the one good thing about him winning the leadership would be the move of the party (slightly) back towards the centre. At a time when the rest of the western world is electing people further and further towards the authoritarian right, Canada's electorate seems to be pulling the parties to the left, which is amazing.

Peter MacKay says he will march in Toronto's Pride parade

Conservative leadership contender Peter MacKay said today he wants to march in Toronto's Pride parade.

MacKay said he's applied to the parade organizers for permission to participate. If he gets it, and if he wins the leadership contest — to be held the day before the parade, on June 27 — he'll be the first permanent federal Conservative leader to participate in this sort of LGBTQ rights celebration.

"Pride parades are important," MacKay said in a statement.

"We live in a world where sexual orientation and gender identity are still used by tyrants and bigots to belittle and oppress. In Canada we are lucky to have a society that has grown more tolerant, more accepting and more understanding, but there is still more work to be done."

MacKay has been more accepting of same-sex marriage rights than other Conservative politicians. In 2006, for example, he was one of only a handful of cabinet ministers to vote against his own government's resolution to restore the traditional definition of marriage.

Erin O'Toole, an Ontario MP also running for the Conservative leadership, said Tuesday he would also be willing to march in Pride parades — but he would avoid the Toronto march because of its current "regrettable" policy of excluding uniformed police officers.

"In uniform, I stood up for the rights of all Canadians, and in Parliament, I have always voted for liberty and equality," O'Toole said in a statement, citing his time as a navigator in the Royal Canadian Air Force.

"When Toronto Pride becomes a truly inclusive event, I will march in that with my uniformed friends."

Toronto Pride has struggled with the question of how to include police.

Some members of the LGBTQ community, notably black and Indigenous activists, have said they feel uncomfortable with uniformed officers participating because of a history of police abuses against LGBTQ people. Others see the participation of police officers as a sign of progress that should be welcomed by Pride organizers.

MacKay and O'Toole have differed on trans rights in the past.

In 2013, O'Toole voted to support an NDP private member's bill to amend the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Criminal Code to include protections for "gender identity" and "gender expression." MacKay and many of his cabinet colleagues voted against the legislation — and it failed to pass. After the 2015 election, the Liberal government passed a similar measure. O'Toole didn't vote on that version of the bill.

Walking in the pride parades has become normal for Canadian political leaders.  The leaders of the Green Party, NDP and Liberal party have been regularly participating.

Conversely, I do not believe a US President has ever walked in a pride parade.

Tangent:

Conservatives rake in most fundraising money in 2019 despite decline

The federal Conservative party’s fundraising machine appears to have run out of steam during the final three months of 2019, as new Elections Canada figures show the party long known for raising more than any others fell behind the governing Liberals.

The Tories nonetheless extended their fundraising dominance by raising a total of $30.8 million in the whole of 2019, as compared to $21 million for the Liberals, $8 million for the NDP and $6.5 million for the Greens.