Based on the various generations of gaming, if you could only buy one game to play, which console would you choose?

gamer.tv

To start with, apologies for the horrendous thread title, I'm sure I'll go back to it and amend it later on. 

This came to me whilst watching a video on YouTube of two people playing Ocarina of Time for the first time, for one because they sold their N64 for a PS1. 

Now, during the mid-90's, when I was still in the single digits for age, I was very much an N64 player. This wasn't due to allegiance (in our household, I started with a Commodore 64, then a Gameboy, followed by a Genesis and then the N64), but it was just the one we happened to get for Christmas. Then thinking about the games available across both systems, I'm acutely aware that the N64 did not have an expansive library, but when I compare the best examples across both consoles, i would rather play Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Banjo Kazooie etc, over the best PS1 offerings. 

Now, it's a fairly standard internet thread to debate the best games across the various generations, but what if you could only select a single game, for one console, per console generation, which would you select? For brevity's sake, I will start at the 3rd generation and only include the larger selling systems in my reminder list, however if you do want to mention anything else, go for it. I would suggest deleting the consoles you wouldn't like to choose, noting the game and a small reason why - ordered fun is the most fun after all. 

3rd Generation

NES

Master System

Atari 7800

4th Generation

TurboGrafx-16

Genesis + Sega CD

SNES

Neo Geo/Neo Geo CD

5th Generation

Atari Jaguar    
3DO    
Sega Saturn    
PlayStation    
Nintendo 64  

6th Generation

Xbox

Gamecube

PlayStation 2

Dreamcast

7th Generation

Xbox 360

PlayStation 3

Wii

8th Generation

Wii U

PlayStation 4

Xbox One

Nintendo Switch

3rd Generation

Master System 

Super Wonder Boy in Monster Land: This is a very weird choice I know as my head tells me that Super Mario Bros. 3 or another big game from the era would be more sensible, but I have such fond memories of Super Wonder Boy. I used to play it with my Best Friend when we were about 4, borrowing his Sister's Master System and it taking us maybe 2 years to actually complete. The game is also suitably long, challenging and fun.

4th Generation

SNES

Super Metroid: For me, a controversial choice as I haven't finished the game, but like SM64, I feel that it has replayability through getting better at the game and running it faster. Breaking the game is also very fun and the overall quality of the game is also very high. I was very tempted by something like Street Fighter 2: Turbo, Super Mario World etc, but this seems like the right choice. 

5th Generation
Nintendo 64  

Super Mario 64: I did think of the more focused outing on the N64 (OoT, BK, Perfect Dark) and then the more outfield ones like 1080 Snowboarding or Excitebike 64 which I loved, but I think Super Mario 64 has the most longevity of any game. Not just because it's a very, very good game and has a large amount of content, but the speed running aspect would offer an extra level of continued playing (whereas I feel the other games on the console, outside of maybe Mario Kart 64, I wouldn't find that process interesting). 

6th Generation

Gamecube

Timesplitters 2: Naturally, games like Resident Evil, Metroid Prime etc came to mind but the closest competition for me in reality was between my choice and F Zero GX. Both games I feel offer a lot of content and for F Zero, the chance to get a lot better and learn the game more intimately, but I think for the depth of the single player and multiplayer, Timesplitters 2 would be a game I would be most happy to come back repeatedly. Super Smash Bros. Melee would be close, but not clos

7th Generation

Xbox 360

Gears of War 2: I think I put about 300 hours into this online (that was along with the worldwide obsession with CoD4 that most had as well). I loved the Campaign, but with the online game, Horde Mode etc, I would happily play this across a whole generation and nothing else. 

8th Generation

PlayStation 4

Rocket League: This was a tricky one as there are a number of games that I could space out over a long time (RDR2, GTA5, Witcher 3, Skyrim, Bloodborne) but I feel that Rocket League is something that I could come back to every single day, make progress, become better and remain entertained. I do however feel that Hearthstone would be here if I had put any time into it.

Right off I apologize for cheating, for my purposes the premium is on replayability

NES

- smb3... its so head and shoulders above everything else

- super tecmo bowl... replayability

-Little Nemo Dream Master.. not enough recognition

SNES

-Super Metroid.. replayability or not.. i cant envision a time when going into Lower Norfair would not be amazing

- Turtles in Time.. short but too good to pass up (sorry double dragon V, sunset riders, final fight etc)

Nintendo 64  

-Perfect Dark.. so much content, so much creativity on weapons.. plus Bots!!  eat shit N-bomb and Dark Peacesim

-Wwf No Mercy... story mode features best storylines from those days, also tons of replay and a good fighting engine

-F zero X.. my favorite racer ever on a console full of incredible racers (sorry 1080, excitibike 64, BEETLE ADVENTURE RACING, diddy

Xbox

-Splinter Cell Chaos Theory.. the miracle Clancy game thats better than the originals

-Mechassault... too much fun

-Brothers in Arms Road to Hill 30.. WW2 and tactical? Hell yes

Xbox 360

Wii

- Batman Arkham Origins.. best story, best bosses and im a batman mark

-Mario Galaxy... such a creative game.. when nintendo tries , great things happen

-Nba 2k11..  before the series got too big for its own good.. even if i dont care about the Jordan mode

-Ass Creed 4..  amazing pirate/assassin game.. tons of worthwhile content

Xbox One

Nintendo Switch

-Breath of the Wild.. A Zelda game with true freedom and great combat.. no need to even pursue main quest.. so nearly perfect

-Master Chief Collection.. all the best of Halo games (also halo 4)

-Arkham Knight... so much content plus the best joker performance and iteration of predator system

Handheld

- Advance Wars DS/Days of Ruin.. the content and CO packed dual strike or the perfect balancd of Days of Ruin

PC

-Ghost Recon Gold... one of my definitive top 3 ever, plus having Ghost Recon gold means u can play the hundreds of expansions and mods

-Age of Empires 2.. soo good and manageable for a simpleton like me

3rd Generation

NES - Mike Tyson's Punch-Out. Great music, great variety of characters, fun game mechanics, and a game I was so infatuated with that eventually I would play it while lying upside down on the floor just to make it a challenge lol.

4th Generation

SNES - Chrono Trigger. My favorite music (even to this day), great story, excellent replay value, and superb graphics.

5th Generation
PlayStation - Really, really, really tough decision to make with this gen. I think I have to go with FF7 just because of how immensely big it is - from the music, to the story, to the graphics, to the game length... And this is a game that beats out not only the entire PSx library, but the N64 one as well.

6th Generation

PlayStation 2 - Guitar Hero. This single game literally dominated my life all the way until it broke off into the Rock Band franchise. Great songs, a great time learning how to play the game at different difficulty levels, and certainly a great party game to play with friends.

7th Generation

PlayStation 3 - Probably Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. It was the start of me watching fgc tournaments online (which I still do today), and it was the doorway back into the fighting game genre that I hadn't played since the Dreamcast days from nearly 10 years before. And even though I played Rock Band for a way longer stretch of time, I was more obsessed with playing MvC for the stretch I did play it.

8th Generation

I'm skipping this gen just because it's too recent. Anything I choose would be because of hype and not legacy/longevity aesthetics. Plus, starting last gen (but definitely this gen) I moved to PC gaming almost exclusively.

NES - This is just what I grew up with. It shouldn’t be a surprise that I highly value SMB 1/3 and Zelda.

SNES - While I did have a Sega Nomad and later a console, SNES ruled my childhood much the same. Exclusives really pull me to the SNES again. 

N64 - I initially gave this to PlayStation. I played the crap out of Final Fantasy 7 & 9. I played those more than anything I ever touched on the N64. However, the N64 with Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Ana Conkers sparked my love for shooters. Ocarina remains to me the best LoZ game to date. There was also a ton of games I missed out on like Super Mario 64 and Banjo. 

Xbox - Halo

Xbox 360 - Halo

Halo has ruled my life for the past 19 years. I’ve put more time into playing Halo than any other game, series, or franchise. It influenced my friend circle more than any other aspect of my life (even though most of my friends shared the same interests outside of Halo). My life just wouldn’t be the same had I not played it. 

PS4 - While my interest had waned in Halo as years have gone on, I think because of the lackluster MCC launch and Halo 5 being so very far away from what I enjoyed about Halo, I could get away with just having a PS4. A lot of games remastered, the PS2 ports(?), PS1 classics. I think I’d have my hands full with games to play that I missed out on.

3rd Generation

NES

Super Mario 3 - tons of memories playing with my buddies, and it was a fun as hell game to play. Still my fav of all the Mario games

4th Generation

Genesis + Sega CD

Sonic & Knuckles - again remember playing a ton of time with this game. One of the few games I also bought with my own money that my bro’s and sister also enjoyed playing

5th Generation
Nintendo 64  
GoldenEye and that should be all that needs to be said.

6th Generation

Dreamcast

Crazy Taxi was my go too game. I know it’s just an arcade game but shit was it fun. I was pretty addicted to this game and preferred the original level they made then the original arcade level. Plus Bad Religion and Offspring playing on repeat never got old, and I’m serious on that. Plus the system deserved better

7th Generation

Xbox 360

Halo 3 - multiplayer and a fun co-op campaign

8th Generation

Wii U

PlayStation 4

Xbox One

Nintendo Switch

i got nothing yet on any of them being the standout yet. Play mostly my X1 but man was Zelda an amazing game