All hail the end of the lamest year in tech hardware in recent memory

Mr.Vic20

2019, a year inwhich advancement said, "eh fuck it, 2020 sounds waaay cooler and therefore more marketable, lets hold until then!" :poop:

2019 saw intel stall and  lose ground to AMD in a significant way. That's good for AMD, and bad for the industry as a whole. Nvidia felt that they could slap the word "Super" on their already SUPER expensive GPUs and call it a year. AMD graphics cards? Just as they have been for the last few years, they are the people's VW, but certainly no Porshe. Awesome stuff.

DDR5 got pushed further down the road and again intel has decided to pass on adding PCIe4.0 to their chipset, so the Z4xx boards will be PCIe3.0 once again! HDMI 2.1 exists but with next to nothing to drive it, its just sitting there, waiting for 2020. New consoles? Next year! So AMD overall did great things in bring the low end up and the middle higher, but they didn't push us further. and the other two giants, they shyte the bed repeatedly. 

Yes, yes, I know the reasons for all of the things I listed, but man, what a shit year for high end tech people! So in the last days of 2019, I say, FUCK YOU 2019! Bring on 2020, the year of new consoles, GPUs, and processors that will actually move the needle once again! :sun:

7 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, but how late in the year are these new units going to release?

Most of the new hardware should drop by June (obviously not the  new consoles), so yeah there is a quarter year lag on the release of Cyberpunk. For what its worth, I'm irritated by that as well! It weird to want CP2077 to be delayed 3 months, but that's where I'm at! 

The Challenge there is, everything from a gaming perspective is going to start leaning toward next gen consoles come next year so the minimums for what make a solid 1440P performer will also jump up. Now of course that assumes you are largely playing the AAA titles that tend to push the hardware most, so results may vary. Also, as I'm sure you know, I'm a straight up graphics snob so my view may be tragically skewed to begin with! 

58 minutes ago, brandino said:

How is AMD being competitive in the CPU space bad for the industry?

Like I said, AMD has managed to bring up the budget and middle tier segments of the market really well, just not the very high end. So that is NOT bad for the industry. What is bad, over all, is that this year the industry as a whole didn't jump forward. Its not the end of the world, but its clearly a lack luster year compared to others. 

Edit: I see the problem, I really thought I explicitly said that, but rereading what I wrote, I did not! WHY CAN'T YOU MIND READ?! :p

4 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

AMD is dominating Intel in the HEDT space. 

Yup, in the more cores than I know what to do with space, AMD is making hay! But intel still holds the high end gaming crown for FPS and that is sad considering how damn long they having been camping on the 14nm fab. Its just been a flat year for pushing gaming hardware to the next level. AMD has had an absolute banner year in stepping up where intel has stumbled for sure, but on the whole it was not a jump forward year unless you specifically look at perf/dollar ratio, in which case I think its fair to say AMD has done a bang up job. 

11 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

So you're saying I should wait til sometime in 2020 to upgrade my 980? I really wanted to do it before Cyberpunk releases.

Thought this too Cnut. Your card isn’t far from mine. A 980 is still a powerful card because games are catered to shit specs of consoles and lower spec machines. I’m feeling 2021 for my 1070 at this point. I’ll get a CPU before then, but by 2021 I’ll snag a 2080 or whatever on the cheap (or something comparable) 

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey was the most recent. 

Never ran it on PC. Only on PS4. 

The minimum is a damn 660 and recommended is a 970 

I would be interested to see how my 1070 runs it. But just by looking, seems it would run almost maxed. Maybe turn down some AA

6 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It doesn't and I managed around 40 FPS with a lot of dips. Not maxed. 

Looked up my card vs yours. It is quite a substantial upgrade, more than I figured. Frames differ as much as 40 to 70 compared between the two. So now, I’m more in agreement with you upgrading. 

This test was on Origins, but same engine as odyssey anyhow 

9 hours ago, maddux4163 said:

Not sure why I figured 980 vs 1070 was almost similar. Maybe I’m thinking TI version? Not sure. But yep. Time to upgrade. Simple as that 

That's right.  A mildly overclocked 980 Ti would be equivalent to a 1070.  Regular 980 would be around a 1060 6GB.

19 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yup, in the more cores than I know what to do with space, AMD is making hay! But intel still holds the high end gaming crown for FPS and that is sad considering how damn long they having been camping on the 14nm fab. Its just been a flat year for pushing gaming hardware to the next level. AMD has had an absolute banner year in stepping up where intel has stumbled for sure, but on the whole it was not a jump forward year unless you specifically look at perf/dollar ratio, in which case I think its fair to say AMD has done a bang up job. 

Software development techniques would probably bring the greatest increases to performance - which on the flip side developers would use to increase the fidelity and thus performance requirements anyway.  Until there is a major change in CPU architecture (like quantum computing) or we break past the 5 GHz barrier, I don't think we'll see huge or even moderate leaps in single-threaded performance.