Roger Stone Is Found Guilty in Trial That Revived Trump-Russia Saga

Jason

I do like the theory that this was an illegitimate self pardon.   Some people view self pardons as unconstitutional.  I agree.

BUT, even if a plaintiff argued this to be the case, I doubt the Supreme Court would take up the case, and if they did, I'd be skeptical that the commutation would be overturned.

Besides, wasn’t Stone going to white collar prison where he spends his days playing tennis with other embezzlers?

It’s not like Trump saved him from some neo-Nazis giving him the business from behind while staring at his Richard Nixon upper tramp stamp.

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

I do like the theory that this was an illegitimate self pardon.   Some people view self pardons as unconstitutional.  I agree.

BUT, even if a plaintiff argued this to be the case, I doubt the Supreme Court would take up the case, and if they did, I'd be skeptical that the commutation would be overturned.

I think this is a case where the system just failed to anticipate a president as shamelessly corrupt as Trump.

Not only can he get away with this, I think he could get away commuting the sentence of family members committing such acts. 

The only pardon that seems to be in question is if he could literally pardon himself. And I think there's a chance that if Pence refuses to provide him a Ford special, Trump might attempt such a pardon. It might hold up, it might not...but the legal battle could drag on for years and allow him to avoid prosecution since he doesn't appear to be the healthiest septuagenarian in the world.

33 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I think this is a case where the system just failed to anticipate a president as shamelessly corrupt as Trump.

I think what the system failed to anticipate is the bad actors simultaneously capturing all three branches of government (and the opposition being as limp-wristed as Chuck and Nancy).

• Like 1