Guerrilla Games' Hermen Hulst is PlayStation's new head of Worldwide Studios, Yoshida will head initiative to support smaller devs

SaysWho?

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-11-07-guerrilla-games-hermen-hulst-is-playstations-head-of-worldwide-studios

He starts the role immediately and will manage all of Sony's game development across its 14 internal studios.

Meanwhile, Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida will leave his current role to lead a new initiative that will look after and nurture

He continued in a statement: "Hermen is one of the most effective and well-respected leaders in the video game industry. He is a passionate advocate for the teams he leads and understands how to empower creative talent to build great experiences. I have no doubt Hermen can lead our teams to deliver compelling and diverse experiences at a steady cadence."

Guerrilla is best known for the Killzone series and Horizon: Zero Dawn, and most recently worked with Kojima Productions on Death Stranding. In Hulst's place, Angie Smets, Jan-Bart van Beek and Michiel van der Leeuw will take over as joint studio heads at Guerrilla.

Hulst said: "I have worked closely with PlayStation and the entire Worldwide Studios family since 2001,and I have the utmost respect and admiration for the creative talent and ambitious ideas within the network of studios across the US, Europe, and Japan."

He continued in a statement: "Hermen is one of the most effective and well-respected leaders in the video game industry. He is a passionate advocate for the teams he leads and understands how to empower creative talent to build great experiences. I have no doubt Hermen can lead our teams to deliver compelling and diverse experiences at a steady cadence."

Those four words carry a whole lot of uneasy connotation there.

One of the main reasons that Sony's first party games have been as good as they are was because they had the time to work on them. The development cycle of each of their big games were what, 5+ years?

This makes it sound like they want to start cranking them out, Ubisoft-style.

4 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Those four words carry a whole lot of uneasy connotation there.

One of the main reasons that Sony's first party games have been as good as they are was because they had the time to work on them. The development cycle of each of their big games were what, 5+ years?

This makes it sound like they want to start cranking them out, Ubisoft-style.

There clearly have been some big gaps in some of the teams output (likely due to a chunk of cancelled games).  I don't think they want to crank them out Ubi-style, but they probably want to average 2 great games (other than baseball) a year.  The only years they have done that this gen are 2017/2018.