The Expanse: Season 4 - 13 December 2019

I enjoyed the season, but I think it might be the worst one we've gotten so far.

Everything felt rather disconnected this season. The show has always been about weaving disparate threads together, but so much of this season felt distant and small. The alien planet stuff was centered on only a very small number of people, and held the Rosinante and her crew hostage. The politics of Earth and Bobby's plight on Mars both felt like small potatoes. The Belter plot was probably the best part.

Still, being the worst of a good show isn't a terrible mark. I'm mostly just glad that Amazon picked them up because it means that we get at least one more season.

I discovered the show during the #SaveTheExpanse campaign and binged through all 3 seasons, utterly baffled that I hadn't heard of it before. I then went on to read every book and novella, which is a tremendous commendation of the series because I hadn't read a book in 7 years, so suddenly reading ~5,000 pages in a few months was a big deal to me. I've mentioned the show to family and friends, and some have tried to watch it, but none were able to get into it.

As for Season 4, I enjoyed it but I felt that they forced the Avasarala story because she's a popular character/actor, it wasn't bad necessarily but I don't think it was needed and took away from more time on Ilus. On the other hand I loved Bobbie's story-arc on Mars, the integration with Gods of Risk, and was fine with them using it as the method by which Filip obtained the stealth tech. All of the story-elements on Ilus were good, but it seemed like a much more desolate planet than it should have been. The lack of alien plants and animals, including the Mimic Lizard, was disappointing. I'm surprised they even included the Death Slugs, but was happy to see them.

But in terms of the finale, I feel like...

Spoiler

...spoiling the attack on earth was a mistake, akin to if they had revealed the plans for the Red Wedding before that episode in Game of Thrones.

I enjoyed the different threads being weaved, but I agree Avasarala's story felt the least connected. I enjoyed the closed setting on Ilus with Murty and was thrilled to see what life on Mars was like since it was our first look. I like that the story is bubbling up around the characters. I am very patient if the characters and writing are good, and this is a solid drama with cool sci fi stuff going on all around it. It feels like we are really seeing things from their perspectives and I'm sincerely worried someone I really like is going to die in many of the scenes. I can't wait for the next season. We went through this one in just a few days.

• 3 months later...