Akira Sequel Series Coming From Creator Katsuhiro Otomo

Also a 4K remaster of the original film. As a huge fan of the manga series and the film, this is holy shit YAS news if true.

https://www.slashfilm.com/akira-anime-series-sequel-4k-remaster/

Getting a Final Fantasy VII remake, a Denis Villenueve-directed Dune film series (and spin-off TV series), a sequel (finally!) to Shenmue II with Shenmue III from creator Yu Suzuki, a Deadwood sequel film to the TV series from creator David Milch, a reboot Evangelion film series from creator Hideaki Anno, and now this? This is an embarassment of riches. And let's not forget we're getting a Hollywood-level live-action blockbuster adaptation of Akira's original manga story from writing/directing virtuoso Taika Waititi coming out May 21, 2021 and he's a big fan of Akira.

31 minutes ago, ort said:

Sounds great on paper... we'll see how it turns out.

I wonder if this is a direct sequel or will redo the whole thing as one story or what.

Anime News Network's better link (I should have provided it earlier) says that they want to "to do the whole manga story" but then they call it a sequel to the film, which is confusing because the manga series and the film significantly diverge from one another so much so you can't adapt what they didn't adapt and fit it as a sequel to what they did adapt. I mean, maybe they could (I can kind of see it) but it will be difficult.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-07-04/katsuhiro-otomo-akira-gets-new-anime-project-and-4k-remaster-of-1988-anime-film/.148651

16 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

The most shocking new here? Otomo is actually directing something that isn't live action or a short.

Yes, he hasn't done a proper anime series or film since Steamboy in 2004. That is partly what I'm so hype about as well. He's only even ever done two: Akira and Steamboy. This is an auteur coming out at age 65 to do this is very interesting when he almost never gifts us with a full-length feature (he's never even directed an anime series). He's mostly in manga, and even there he hasn't done much (manga is how he originally got his start, so that's his true bread and butter). 

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yes, he hasn't done a proper anime series or film since Steamboy in 2004. That is partly what I'm so hype about.

Well. he also went crazy with Steamboy. It took him, what? Ten years to get that film made? That was supposed to be his big US hit and that never happened. I'm honestly kind of surprised Bandai Namco is teaming up with him again here. However, maybe they're hoping the live action Hollywood treatment will bring new interest to the franchise and everything else is 15 year old water under the bridge.

11 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Well. he also went crazy with Steamboy. It took him, what? Ten years to get that film made? That was supposed to be his big US hit and that never happened. I'm honestly kind of surprised Bandai Namco is teaming up with him again here. However, maybe they're hoping the live action Hollywood treatment will bring new interest to the franchise and everything else is 15 year old water under the bridge.

Yeah, that's because the US release got fucked. They cut 20 minutes out of the film for theaters and only released the "director's cut" on bluray, etc. Total bullshit and would ruin any anime film - there is no director's cut - the original Japanese release was the longer version. The film never had a chance, sadly. Maybe they re-partnered and attributed Steamboy's to that and Akira has brand value that Steamboy didn't have. 

14 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm not sure I ever wanted a sequel to Akira but here's hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I refused to acknowledge that Ghost in a Shell had a sequel but I eventually saw it and it was better than I thought it would be.

I actually think Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence is, in some ways, better than Ghost in the Shell, which is more crowd-pleasing. As a big fan of writer/director Mamoru Oshii, Innocence is more his kind of movie. Both are fantastic though.