Stadia Connect Livestream (over)

crispy4000

11 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

You missed the point if the Amazon analogy.  There is no 4K subscription paywall on content you directly bought.  On Stadia there is.  That’s the kicker.  Bringing up Netflix’s subscription doesn’t even relate.  

On exclusives, it matters more here for one reason: Microsoft.  Netflix had no competition when they started making shows.  Google has to convince people to get this over xCloud and Games Pass.

And of course we know the starting lineup games you will be able to buy on Stadia.  We just don’t know the Pro library.  That’s a huge problem.  Why even buy the founder pack if you aren’t interested in Destiny 2?  .... they hardly even gave us a clue.

I understand that Amazon AIV works slightly differently, I just don't think it's unreasonable to put 4K behind a paywall. It's a high end feature most people don't care about.

Saying Netflix had no competition is pretty silly. They were competing against TV. They were simply a different content distribution method before they were also competing as a content creator. That's a very similar situation to Stadia. Their primary competition is a series of entrenched competitors that have owned the market space for decades. The difference is that Staida won't have that space to themselves for quite as long as Netflix did. 

I think there's a very good chance that Stadia never takes off, and obviously there are still a lot of questions with the service, but I think a lot of people are criticizing it for things that are pretty standard practice because they don't like the idea it represents. 

6 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I understand that Amazon AIV works slightly differently, I just don't think it's unreasonable to put 4K behind a paywall. It's a high end feature most people don't care about.

I'd agree with you for media that you're supposed to subscribe to use.  But for a full game purchase?  Nope, that's a farce.  If 4K doesn't come standard with paid-for games, they should be providing a download option as a fallback, like every other PC gaming client in the market.

That's called being consumer friendly.  And competitive, because we know other companies are going there.

Saying Netflix had no competition is pretty silly. They were competing against TV. They were simply a different content distribution method before they were also competing as a content creator. That's a very similar situation to Stadia. Their primary competition is a series of entrenched competitors that have owned the market space for decades. The difference is that Staida won't have that space to themselves for quite as long as Netflix did.

Netflix became a popular culture phenomenon because they had a near monopoly on internet subscriptions for movies & shows.  If Google was the only company pursuing cloud gaming, then okay, sure.  This still would have been a bad presentation, but they would have come out of it looking slightly better. 

The current landscape: All Microsoft has to reiterate at E3 is "Games Pass + xCloud" and they'll look way better than Google on this.

I think there's a very good chance that Stadia never takes off, and obviously there are still a lot of questions with the service, but I think a lot of people are criticizing it for things that are pretty standard practice because they don't like the idea it represents. 

I've been more wary about a subscription-everything future than anything cloud gaming in particular represents.

Google's plan is a just straight up bad value proposition.  What we have the option to buy outright is unappealing, overpriced, and filled with caveats.  Worse, we still don't really know what we're getting when we subscribe.

They failed today.