My Friend Pedro (fantastic looking 2D gun ballet platformer) to release for PC/Switch on June 20, update - 250K units sold in first week

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, legend said:

I started and finished it on Sunday. It's short and not especially deep. But it is fun, and I can imagine picking it up playing when I need a time killer. For that reason, Switch seems like the best platform for it.

How long did it take you to calculate this?

Reviews from OpenCritic

Game Information

Game Title: My Friend Pedro

Platforms:

• PC (Jun 19, 2019)
  • Nintendo Switch (Jun 19, 2019)

Developer: DeadToast Entertainment

Publisher: Devolver Digital

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 80 average - 83% recommended

Critic Reviews

Daily Star - 5 / 5 stars

My Friend Pedro is an addictive experience and a mesmerising shoot-em-up that, though failing to deliver a good story, takes you on a violent ballet filled with blood, bullets and bananas.

OnlySP - 5 / 5 stars

My Friend Pedro is worth every cent and deserves to find an audience. Players are indulged with unique mechanics that are both clever and fun, allowing the creation of violent visual masterpieces. Every element of the game from the art to the story, work together in harmony to create something magical. If players want to sit back and enjoy some senseless fun, then My Friend Pedro is a much needed addition any gaming library.

GameCrate - 9.5 / 10

When you hear the title My Friend Pedro, you don't really know what to expect. So you know what? Go and play My Friend Pedro, and enjoy everything this highly entertaining, bombastic, and just plain weird.

We Got This Covered - 4.5 / 5 stars

There's so much to love about My Friend Pedro that it's often hard to find something to complain about, so I'll just end this gushing little review on an extremely high note: Out of all the Nintendo Switch games I've played so far this year, I think I've found my favorite. I have plenty more banana-related adventures to pursue -- and bullets to waste.

CGMagazine - 9 / 10

Friend Pedro is a ridiculously good time; challenging, stylish, incredibly fun and endlessly playable. Do yourself a favour and make this game YOUR friend.

The Digital Fix - 9 / 10

My Friend Pedro is one of the year's best titles, and is easily among the Switch's premier indie titles. It's funny, it's stylish, and it's challenging in all the best ways, and definitely needs to be played by anyone looking for their next quick hit of action gaming.

God is a Geek - 9 / 10

It's over too soon, but while it lasts My Friend Pedro is a unique, likeable shooter and some of the best fun I've had in a while.

TheSixthAxis - 9 / 10

My Friend Pedro is everything I wanted it to be. Smooth, stylish gun play, powered by creativity that makes you feel like you're making your own action scenes in a movie. What's not to love?

Pedro is love. Pedro is your friend.

EGM - 9 / 10

My Friend Pedro is an enthusiastic, stylish take on the shoot 'em up genre that's elevated by its complex level designs and clever puzzles. It combines so many mechanics from so many games that you might lose track, but these elements all come together to create a unified, singular experience. If you ever wondered what you'd get by crossing Hard Boiled and Super Mario Bros., it would look a lot like My Friend Pedro.

PushStartPlay - 9 / 10

My Friend Pedro is one of the most stylish, crazy shooters that you’ll play this year!

FingerGuns - 9 / 10

My Friend Pedro has more than lived up to my expectations and I’m absolutely thrilled that there’s yet another utterly brilliant Devolver Digital title out there in the world. It’s hilarious, ridiculous and has a fair number of ‘punch-the-air’ moments that very few games can pull of with the same style as My Friend Pedro.

Jump Dash Roll - 9 / 10

My Friend Pedro is a reminder of the great things a single person can achieve when they have a clear vision and the skills to deliver it. The polish afforded by working with Devolver is the cherry on the cake. Nice one, Victor.

GameSpace - 9 / 10

That is the reason to play My Friend Pedro in a nutshell, although bananas don’t have shells. My Friend Pedro is beautiful violence. Just like Doom, it takes a simple idea and builds an unrelenting pace. It is an unyielding and remarkable display of carnage that will keep any assassin’s finger twitching

Digital Chumps - 9 / 10

DeadToast Entertainment's My Friend Pedro is the expected offspring of a Devolver Digital title: oozing with style and enough substance. Players looking for an addictive score-attack game in the vein of Hotline Miami will embrace the over-the-top gunplay and the emphasis on skill and replayability.

Echo Boomer - Portuguese - 9 / 10

My Friend Pedro is a pure celebration of the best action games and movies, full of exciting moments and superb gameplay mechanics that makes us feel the most badass guy in the world.

GameZone - 9 / 10

My Friend Pedro is a game I can't recommend enough for fans of these fast, snappy, and frenetic action games that fill that empty spot of something like a new Max Payne game. It's incredibly fun, creative, and plays like a total dream that fits right at home on the Nintendo Switch.

Gaming Nexus - 8.8 / 10

My Friend Pedro, packing a punch, a kick, and quite a few guns, is a breath of fresh air in the shooter genre. While it runs the risk of becoming samey, though, it always manages to give the player something new.

Handsome Phantom - 8.5 / 10

My Friend Pedro will take you on a journey to the most extreme depths of beautiful violence… and you'll love every second of it.

WellPlayed - 8.5 / 10

With addictive gunplay, buttery smooth movement and level design that encourages creativity, Pedro is definitely a friend that you want to have

MSPoweruser - 8.5 / 10

My Friend Pedro is at the forefront of sidescrolling action. While it will undoubtedly take a while to fully get to grips with its controls, the time investment is worthwhile. As soon as you finish, you’ll be returning to prior levels in an attempt to beat your score. It’s an addicting, adrenaline-fuelled, action-packed adventure that ends just a little bit too soon.

Critical Hit - 8.5 / 10

A glorious and brutal ballet of blood and bullets, My Friend Pedro is a symphony of action that will leave your thumbs aching for more of its completely bananas fun.

IGN - 8.5 / 10

Excellent action leads the way with My Friend Pedro, though there is little reason to return after its short campaign.

Entertainment Buddha - 85 / 100

The latest Indie gem to come from Devolver Digital is now here, and if you love oddball types of games that offer up unique gameplay experiences and sentient bananas, then My Friend Pedro will be right up your demented, side-scrolling shooter loving alley.

Nintendo Times - 8.5 / 10

GREAT - Picture this: backflip in slow motion onto a skateboard while shooting a frying pan to ricochet bullets to kill the bad guys all to appease your friend Pedro – a sentient banana. If that’s not enough for you then I don’t know what to tell you.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 8.4 / 10

A fine shooter that does great great a few things, while not trying to do anything new. It doesn't lasts long, but is extremely funny while it lasts.

COGconnected - 82 / 100

My Friend Pedro is a relatively unique game that is hard to compare with anything contemporary and plays well to its strengths.

IGN Italy - Italian - 8.2 / 10

Put in a blender Matrix, Max Payne, kung fu movies, Shoot'em up, rag doll animations... and a lot of bananas. Then, freeze in a run & gun stencil. Serve chilled. It's not the perfect mix, but it tastes so good.

PC Gamer - 81 / 100

Breezy fun that also rewards combo-chasing mastery. Barrel through the story once for a laugh, then replay the best levels until you are John Wick on a skateboard.

Saving Content - 4 / 5 stars

DeadToast Entertainment has made a game that builds on the systems and mechanics it introduces incrementally to the player. This is a game where you feel like John Wick, (or maybe Neo for a more accurate Keanu Reeves reference) by game’s end. The late game annoyances in platforming don’t sour what is otherwise and incredibly fun game where you’re in direct control of the action. The tagline is “Blood. Bullets. Bananas.” and that couldn’t be more accurate. Though, I’ll never look at a banana the same way again after experiencing the final level. My Friend Pedro is equal parts substance and style, with emphasis on the style.

Gameblog - French - 8 / 10

My Friend Pedro is an enchanting action game, that lets you kill dozens and dozens of henchmen with a lot of style, and a huge smile on your face. That's all we asked for, and we surely would have loved some more, but it's totally fine like this - except if you like interesting stories that make sense, which is not the case here.

Shacknews - 8 / 10

If you're a fan of the ol' ultraviolence, sentient pieces of fruit, attitude akin to that of games like Hotline Miami, or dizzying gorefests, My Friend Pedro is for you. Give it a look, and give the trigger a squeeze. You'll find it has quite the ap-peel.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4 / 5 stars

My Friend Pedro is a hyper-violent ballet that you control.  DeadToast Entertainment takes players on an incredibly fun ride with the game's enjoyable combat system.  All good things come to an end though, and this one just ends a little too soon.

Nintendo Enthusiast - 8 / 10

There’s no other game like My Friend Pedro, and that’s probably the greatest accolade I can give it.

Nintendo Insider - 8 / 10

There’s a need for extra content to fill out what’s currently on offer, as My Friend Pedro could easily benefit from a much-needed encore with a bag full of boomsticks and a few more bullets to the head.

Cultured Vultures - 8 / 10

Even with an underwhelming final third and a paper-thin plot holding it back, My Friend Pedro is a fruity and exhilarating ride.

PC Invasion - 4 / 5 stars

Despite some minor bruising, My Friend Pedro is a perfect blend of synth music, blood, action, and slow-motion thrills. Stop worrying; bullet time is cool again.

Twinfinite - 4 / 5

My Friend Pedro is an excellent pickup that justifies the price. If you’re looking for an action game similar to the absurd action of games like John Woo’s Stranglehold, this is an easy recommendation.

Rapid Reviews UK - 4 / 5 stars

Devolver Digital has made a reputation for themselves by publishing violent and goofy games. My Friend Pedro continues this tradition in grand fashion, as you play a nameless amnesiac on a murderous rampage, all while a floating banana named Pedro guides you on your quest, filling you in on the backstory.

Bloody Disgusting - 4 / 5 stars

A veritable playground of peerless violent ingenuity, My Friend Pedro is the Matrix, Max Payne and Tony Hawk three-way you never knew you wanted, it’s just a shame that an occasional wandering focus distracts the game from doing what it does best.

Hardcore Gamer - 4 / 5

Even with forty levels, My Friend Pedro can be beaten over the course of a few sittings.

Cerealkillerz - German - 8 / 10

Even though in terms of story and gameplay My Friend Pedro delivers very little new, it makes a lot fun thanks to his excellent execution and the interesting leveldesign and invites you to runs for new highscores. Fans of titles like Hotline Miami, The Hong Kong Massacre and Katana Zero are served best.

Slant Magazine - 4 / 5 stars

Every shootout is an opportunity to execute a thoroughly balletic performance of sorts.

Level Down Games - 8 / 10

Everything in My Friend Pedro works just right with plenty of shock value and jaw dropping moments to keep you excited throughout. The challenge ramps up wonderfully and by the end of the game, you’ll be Googling to see if the developer has plans for a sequel. But don’t worry, something as novel and beautiful as this is only a few years away from becoming a Triple A title in franchises that you already love.

Guardian - 4 / 5 stars

With no pretence at character or plot, this stylish shooter rewards the most acrobatic sequences of killings in the best-choreographed ballet of havoc

ZTGD - 8 / 10

My Friend Pedro is as wacky as the name suggests. In a sea of games it is hard to make a splash, but Switch owners would be wise not to skip this fun romp. While it has some issues the pure joy of bouncing a bullet off a frying pan and into the skull of your adversary outweighs that frustration. I wish Devolver would put their games on more systems right out of the gate, as I think this game could easily make a splash with just about every gamer.

Spaziogames - Italian - 7.9 / 10

My Friend Pedro is the new Hotline Miami we are all waiting, with a psycho floating banana named Pedro who suggests killing everyone. Lovely.

DualShockers - 7.5 / 10

My Friend Pedro is an enjoyable score-focused shooter that is sometimes undermined by its level design.

TechRaptor - 7.5 / 10

My Friend Pedro is like if Sonic the Hedgehog went on a drug-fueled killing spree. It's a ridiculous whirlwind of flashy dives, stylish shooting, and accidentally amazing trick shots that refuses to take itself seriously.

Flickering Myth - 7.5 / 10

My Friend Pedro doesn’t reinvent the wheel, but its big success is taking a genre known for its punishing difficulty and paring things down at the lower end.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 7.5 / 10

Devolver Digital and DeadToast Entertainment redefine the meaning of "kill in style" in a blaze of creative destruction and temporal control.

Nintendo Life - 7 / 10

My Friend Pedro, for the most part, delivers on its promise to provide you with an almost endless variety of ways with which to carry out the flashy brand of OTT violence that's had gamers eagerly awaiting its release. The controls can be cantankerous at times and the levels are far from being an eclectic mix, but it adds enough diversions to the action with light puzzling and platforming elements to keep things interesting enough to see through to the end. Also, your best friend is a banana.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 70 / 100

If you eve though that "Max Payne, but in 2D" would be great... Turns out you were right. My Friend Pedro is just that: a ridiculously stylish shooter with the right amount of absurdity to keep you engaged until the end.

GameGrin - 7 / 10

My Friend Pedro can be an absurdly stylish action game when everything aligns but you'll just as likely find yourself slipping over its unwieldy controls.

Destructoid - 7 / 10

My Friend Pedro is a crazy, violent, and sometimes downright weird score-attack title. It's designed to be played and replayed in perpetuity, with the aim simply to master its wild action, wide variety of weapons and maneuvers, and over-the-top physics. As long as you're aware of what you're buying into here, you'll have a (double-barreled) blast with its gleefully unashamed anarchy.

Screen Rant - 3.5 / 5 stars

The story is banal and cliche and the devs know this doesn't matter. You'll keep playing because its fun.

Digitally Downloaded - 3.5 / 5 stars

I did leave My Friend Pedro wanting more. But I also have to admit, I have all these videos of slow-motion backflip guns-akimbo kills saved on my Switch now: pulling them off was no easy feat either, and in an odd way the game makes you feel proud of these achievements

NintendoWorldReport - 7 / 10

My Friend Pedro seems like the kind of game that either clicks with you or it doesn't. If you're a patient player who likes killstreaks, points, and stylish gameplay, you might like this a lot. If you're like me and have less patience for a game that feels unintuitive for the first 20 levels out of 40, the final product might not click so easily.

ThisGenGaming - 7 / 10

My Friend Pedro will have you doing a lot of killing over and over but how much and how long you enjoy it will likely differ from person to person. I personally found it to get a little repetitive over time but that’s not to say I didn’t enjoy my time with the game.

Thumbsticks - 3.5 / 5 stars

My Friend Pedro is one of those activities – like skateboarding, or playing the guitar, or any form of dancing – that always looks that much cooler when someone else, someone more proficient is doing it. Don’t let that discourage you, though. You’ll still have a lot of fun playing a slick, stylish game built almost entirely out of those brilliant, cinematic, single-shot hallway fight sequences.

GameSkinny - 7 / 10 stars

My Friend Pedro is a wild ride full of high-octane action, but the game's balletic bullet catharsis is marred by the cumbersome controls and lack of clear direction.

Gamer Escape - 7 / 10

For fans of action movies and stylish shooters that have wanted to experience The Matrix as a side-scroller, My Friend Pedro is a go, and at the current price point, it’s almost easy to recommend. Just move on to a higher difficulty after a while and on your repeat plays.

GameSpot - 7 / 10

My Friend Pedro is a stylish and inventive arcade shooter that provides plenty of joy but isn't as groundbreaking as it initially seems.

PowerUp! - 6.8 / 10

There’s a lot of entertainment in watching someone nailing a super double twist into a somersault while shooting two dudes in the head.

Surprisingly, though, there’s just not as much fun in doing it.

AusGamers - 6.7 / 10

In a subsequent trip to that action-game location we all know as The Sewers you face off against a new and deadly opponent; the hardcore gamer.

Game Revolution - 3 / 5 stars

This game will certainly find a well-deserved place of love among the hardest of the hardcore. In fact, it’ll be great to witness a speedrun or two after the final release. However, for the general player, My Friend Pedro finds solidarity with a forgettable summer blockbuster.

Eurogamer - No Recommendation / Blank

In the end, My Friend Pedro's two halves of the banana reveal the perilous balancing act of game design. The first half is a stellar example of how to build an action game, of how to engender a sense of creativity through the player's toolset, and how to bake seamless flow into complex and challenging environments. The second half isn't quite the opposite of that, but it tries much too hard to be clever, with humour that's less goofy and more edgy, and level design that's too exacting in its structure.

Polygon - Unscored

My Friend Pedro gives you the tools necessary to become an action hero

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

My Friend Pedro does let you realise the fantasy of conducting a bullet symphony while hanging upside down from a zipline, but like most fantasies, it doesn’t survive past the initial rush of blood to the head.

ACG - Buy

Video Review - Quote not available

Player2.net.au - B

My Friend Pedro excels at making you feel extremely good at   being violent. Its slow-mo gunplay is among the best in any  game. However, the disappointing delivery of its utterly bananas premise and a lack of variety dulls the thrill during longer play sessions.

GameOctane - A-

If you love a good action game, then My Friend Pedro is a must own.  The slow-motion gunplay is incredibly satisfying and fun.  The story leaves a little to be desired, but the action makes up for it.  The story is relatively short, but you will go back again and again to raise your score.  Plus, with its handy gif generator, you will be replaying levels over and over again in order to make the perfect action moment to share with friends.

• 2 weeks later...