Early impressions for Glass are coming out...(no spoilers)

22 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I went into this with low expectations, more curiosity than hype. I liked bits of it, but overall it felt like a major missed opportunity. Thumbs down. 

What opportunity did it miss? 

I liked it. I think the story came full circle and I enjoyed the end. 

I was surprised that BO expectations were so high. $40M is pretty solid for a $20M film.

I noticed that for a while prior to release Split wasn't available to rent on VOD anywhere. You could buy it, but not rent it. I was checking periodically since I missed Split and wanted to see Glass, and it finally became available to rent this weekend. I'd be interested to know what the deal was. I assume they were just trying to drive more sales, but I wonder if Shyamalan had a say in it given the way these films were financed. 

On 1/19/2019 at 3:48 PM, johnny said:

What opportunity did it miss? 

I liked it. I think the story came full circle and I enjoyed the end. 

This is kind of where I'm at?

I don't really understand where all of the dislike for this movie is coming from.

Glass is the little film that I want to root for. It's a film made outside the studio system by a talented writer / director. It's a film that explores a well worn genre at a completely different scale than its contemporaries. It's a thoughtful film stuffed full of ideas and that strikes out with a message that I want to cheer on. Unfortunately it's just not well made on nearly any level.

The characters presented, some of whom go back 19 years, are simple and one note without any arc to speak of. The plot is slow and boring, full of unnecessary didactic monologues about comic books. Even in recognizing the budgetary limitations, it's a film that is poorly staged, and that moves without any sense of urgency after the opening few minutes.

It's a film that needed the restraint of early 2000's Shyamalan and likely would have worked better had the movie been released then as well. It's a film that fails in its execution and ideas because it refuses to recognize the world in which it exists. The constant comic book lessons feel like they're made for an audience unaware that comic book heroes have ruled the box office for more than a decade, and the few uses of technology ignore our modern context for them. As much as I wanted to enjoy Glass, I left the theater feeling it was a poorly made film that was simply out of its time.